VFIO for A.I. art and design workstation?

Hi this is my first post here. Im wondering if i can reliably consolidate my computing needs into one system. i just built:

ASROCK Creator TRX40
Threadripper 3960x
128gb ram planning upgrade to 256 soon
1 TB Samsung 970 pro SSD
512 TB Sam 970 swap drive
8 TB RAID1 array
Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD drawing monitor
(2)NVIDIA 2080ti
NVIDIA 6000 quadro 24gb
NVIDIA 1070
1600watt EVGA PS

Running Arch linux. computer will be used for machine learning art/animation research. Im hoping I can also run windows 10 guest with GPU,USB Cintiq passthrough, and my 44" canon Giclee printer software. I need photoshop/after effects for my print studio and digital painting on the Cintiq 27- while training AI in Linux at the same time on the host.

im hoping to eventually part out my current i9 9900k windows machine to fund more GPU’s for the threadripper system… This is my first time doing a GPU VM.

Any sage advise appreciated. Any special hardware recommendations for a noob? Not sure how practical this setup would be and perhaps it would be wiser to keep both systems from a reliability standpoint? But i really need another quadro with 24gb RAM…

The amount of documentation about hardware compability with VFIO is not very good, so the only way is to test it out yourself and come back with real problems.

Hey there. @danijoyart How did this build go? I’m building a similar machine for After Effects and C4D. Designer Animator. www.nader.space

ASROCK Creator TRX40
Threadripper 3960x
128gb ram planning upgrade to 256 soon

I am using [Crucial Ballistix RGB 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model BL2K32G32C16U4WL]

Are you using 32 GB sticks or 16 GB Sticks and are you experiencing any issues?

Thank you!

Apologies for not replying sooner. the forum thought i was a bot at first and i got the ban hammer and its been a crazy year, i forgot to check this post.

I decided to keep my 9900k as my main workstation and use the threadripper as headless server system with 4x Tesla m40 GPU’s.

No issues running the 32GB sticks. Both my systems use them. just running the samsung 2600 DDR4 32 GB units

thanks will do. I have arch running on my 9900k with dual boot. thinking about trying to see if my supermicro z390WS can do GPU passthrough. Thinking ill try the onboard GPU for the Linux host and pass through my 2080ti to windows VM for my print and design software and keep my 3090 for fast AI prototyping in Linux. if its possible. this motherboard has a PLX chip for 4x GPU support- so no idea yet how the PCEI lanes are split up.