VFIO Build Advice - MoBo Recommendation?

Consider also the B650 proart. It lacks a few features (usb4, pcie 5.0 on the x8/x16 slot, 10GBe) but otherwise has better IOMMU groups and is 200 euros/dollars cheaper.

1 Like

How are they better? Since learning that I can use the iGPU for host gfx I’m thinking about an RTX4090 and an Nvidia P100 for my passthrough. The P100 specifically for it’s dual precision compute performance. This would only be used under a Win10 VM.

If you search the forums you can find the groups users posted. But basically, on the B650 all devices are in their own groups, whereas on the x670 a bunch of devices share one group. Specifically those are the usb4 ports, the Ethernet controllers and WiFi, and some other things. So then you can’t pass through one of the nics to get independent networking, for example.

Passing the gpu or an nvme works fine though, if that’s all you’re looking for.

asus proart b650-creator
+1

1 Like

Build is completed with a ProArt B650-Creator and a Gigabyte 4090. Everything works really well and the IOMMU groups are great.

I have a Win10 install on QEMU and I will try to pass through the 4090 and install Looking Glass.

2 Likes