VFIO / AGESA 0.0.7.2 survivor wants to foolishly update BIOS again

It appears that the latest BIOS for the x470 Taichi contains AGESA 1.0.0.1 . The pci.patch for the kernel that fixes the issue caused by AGESA 0.0.7.2 works beautifully and I would not even be considering updating, but the PBO performance on this board is kind of weak (Or at least it seems weak compared to my MSI x470 Gaming Plus) and this newest update “Enhance AMD XFR 2.0 function; change AMD PBO rule with Pinnacle CPU.” Does anyone have any clue what this AGESA entails for us VFIO users?

1 Like

Ladies and gentlemen, sometimes you gotta risk it all to have your dreams come true. I went ahead and took a dive into the new BIOS. VFIO is still working and PBO is kicking more ass than ever. Probably better than the MSI board. The patch is still required, though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you get some neat scalar / manual PBO options with this update as well

Nice to know you’re problem free. I’m considering doing VFIO with my MSI x470 board soon and I had an oh shit moment when I saw your post as one of the first things I did was update it’s bios for the AGESA update. I remembered there were some kernel patch issues described in Wendell’s past videos but I was vague on the details.

Good deal.

the new BIOS/AGESA with the PBO enhancements for AsRock x470 does not change the effectiveness of Aiber’s pci.patch . The XFR adjustments are a little bit aggressive, though, and caused a lot of stability issues for me until I cranked the LLC down and adjusted the offset voltage to about -0.075 . Now things are really peachy. I’ve gained about 200mhz when the CPU is at full load and it appears temperatures have improved as well. To sum: if you want to upgrade from AGESA 0.0.7.2 to 1.0.0.1 and you’re on the AsRock board, your VFIO won’t break again if you’re running the patch, but you might have to tinker in the BIOS for a bit to get the PBO functionality up to snuff.

A decent video demonstrating the PBO + LLC downlevel + cpu voltage offset can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ8zdprzEjI&