VESSEL, an open discustion

I've had Vessel since Linus went there, I got the free deal. Honestly if I had to pay for it I would never use it.

The interface sucks and the lack of Roku support is a deal breaker.

1 Like

@Ironone you gotta realize that vessel is new in the world, so roku is not the first platform that they go, "Hey, lets put it on roku, not android or IOS, you know those are some of the biggest markets for a video streaming service" Also try to root your roku, don't they run android? Couldn't you just get the .apk file and install it on their roku, but that seems like a pain in the ass so, meh.

1 Like

If TS went to apple video or something how many ppl do you think would go and watch them.
I sure as shit wouldn't

Just curious - which Roku do you have? I have an older gen model and the YT app works terribly. After watching content for a while, half the time it freezes. I'll be making a simple htpc which will fix this, but I was wondering if you've had as much trouble as I have with it.

Roku has custom channels. They aren't locked down really. It is the #1 streaming box btw

good to know, hell, if there is enough request, they could roll out to all platforms

Well just whoever liked apple video or whatever platform. I don't care what other platforms the content is on, its their content to do what they want with. As long as there is no advantages/disadvantages from one platform to another I could care less.

I like that Vessel has kinda short pre-roll ads. Not like YT where you can be hit with those unskippable 3 min ones. Makes it a much stronger possibility that ad-block is turned off, at least for me.

1 Like

I had a 3.5 hour preroll ad once. No joke. It was an entire award ceremony for kpop or something.

1 Like

And the industry wonders why Adblock is a problem.

I have a Roku 3 in the living room and the 2 in the bedroom. I don't use the 2 much currnetly but as a household we watch hours of YouTube daily on the 3 and haven't had a problem.

I think I still have the year free from when Linus moved to it. Works fine. It's a bit cleaner than YouTube and organized a bit better in my opinion. Ads are extremely short, but when that year runs out I don't think I would keep it. Kind of a stickler in that if I pay for it, there better not be ads. That is what made me cancel Hulu a few years ago, though I think they have a non ads version now, haven't been interested enough to check.

Lets wait a little while on the soundcloud recommendation.

This may be a dumb idea to ask on the Forum as I'm a bit newer and don't post much and get potentially targeted, but why the Linus hate? I watch pretty much all the tech YouTubers and they have a variety of interesting content.

1 Like

This is the view of the majority of people here. You see the banter everywhere, usually its not malicious. Linus does different content, as do many others.

Back on topic.

its interesting that they show ads even for people who pay, I think this will backfire on them if its not changed. On the plus side, I do like that they are short ads. honestly anything over a few seconds and it annoys me.

Does anyone know how vimeo are staying alive? Are they stable? I know they do 'pro' accounts and that but if their breaking even I imagine vessel could go along some similar route.

Speaking on vimeo, do they have some sort of policy on the types of video allowed? I notice they only do certain types of content?

lol its simple really. over the years, Linus has stopped giving a balanced reviews and instead sells you an idea that was pushed to him. it wasn't even a few months ago that he started selling you things instead of putting out proper content. from smartwatches to his best buy laptops to phones even his isps and cellphone carriers. he justified it as being a way to pay bills and keep the company afloat. and he's still doing it!

he also reviews anything that he gets for free, and pretty much tells you what you already know. except with fancy b-roll so you can fantasize about having the product yourself.

in doing so he alienated an older audience and attracted a much younger one.

he also milks out content way too much. and does not listen to his audience. he has disputed this but the facts remain. every scrapyard wards video people kept saying that they wouldn't mind if the videos were longer. seeing how the event took place over a few days and he milked over the span of 5-6 weeks.

case in point 30000 dollar 7 gamers 1 tower. he even did a 2 hour dis-assembly stream where all the comments were just turnip.

i lol'd when he pretty much named and shamed people for hitting back at him over his 10 gig nic video. thats a horrible thing to do to someone and he pretty much didn't care less. but of course he's the infallible linus and he can never be wrong. ;)

Because the circlejerk is real, and people seem to want to grab the nearest pitchfork if they don't like content, rather than just not consume it.

Linus has picked being a dick. Super fun channel. Search it on vessel