VESSEL, an open discustion

I personally will use Vessel to start watching Tek Syndicate if it does offer the creator more revenue on their videos.

I think that ever since the LTT Vessel thing, most people were tainted from the platform. (In my opinion, LTT made good to take advantage of the payout.) But would you be up in arms still if Logan said that they are going to start uploading on Vimeo or Dailymotion? I don't think so.

Also, Qain is solid. He was a great addition to the Tek.

1 Like

I was being a dick. I was drunk. I dont like a few things and it feels personal to me only cause I care. Out of all the Technology channels I watch the tek is close to my heart.

that is motivation man, I'm going to stay on youtube, I will just give to patreon, I like youtube better on the UI side, it isn't as shitty as vessel

I think most of the hate for Vessel comes from one thing. We are all essentially lazy and dislike change. Change is hard. Why should I change if I don't want to. After reading through this thread, I have realized all the complaints I was planning on posting about Vessel, stem from the fact that I just don't wan't to change.

However, I love the content and want to keep it coming. I specifically have ad block disabled on Youtube for this channel. If taking the time to open a second tab and watch your videos on Vessel gives you a few more dollars to continue to make new content, then I will do it.

Just hurry up and get Paul to drink the cool-aid so I have one less reason to go to Youtube. Thanks and keep up the excellent work.

I going to post somewhat of uncommon opinion but the nearest thing youtube has to a threat is facebook ATM, I cant see vessel lasting more than two years, regardless I wish the creators behind it the best of luck.

If vessel gets there shit under wraps, including a UI on desktop that wasn't made by an IOS hipster, but if there letting tek syndicate go on with out the LTT BS, than that may be a change that could dictate the future, but until they get the UI under wraps, and if they could manage if they pick up steam, streaming like youtube, than they might have themselves a deal

Totally understand. I'd rather have passionate community members like you than passive ones.

1 Like

will you ever consider hosting your own videos through an offsite server. it'd be cool if everything could be hosted on teksyndicate.com and streamed with the vlc plugin. granted it'd be a tough thing to accomplish.

it'd still be a damned cool proof of concept video.

also vessel in australia sucks big time. if you are close to a node. you might see bufferless 480p i tested at WA's curtin campus and at home. when i went back to singapore i tested with a 500 down 250 up connection and got bufferless 720p. 1080p dropped frames and had one or 2 buffers.

it'd be cool if there was some compression mechanism videos could use when there is a low speed situation, i top out at 1Mbps down and i can still watch 720p videos on youtube. allthough i also think its due to the fact that they may have cached videos here to make things smoother.

1 Like

I would just like to be able to watch in full screen.Whatever keeps this site going is fine by me.

I would love to see this and it has been brought up before, they could make use of mediagoblin for example. The issue is cost, the bandwidth required, site hosting, costs a lot of money, currently probably to much. I imagine if that changed it would be considered. Id love downloadable/steamable videos on an open platform.

The paid service only gets you access to "early release" videos. Otherwise no point.

Yes we have. The cost on infrastructure alone is a deterrent, CDN costs. We would have to get an advertisement platform that either baked the ads into our videos, or we would hope that everyone turns off adblock.
It's something we have considered. It's not in the cards at this juncture.

oh cool. i know nothing of these types of things. but i was thinking about the possibilty to stream media from my home remotely. there are applications baked into freenas for this. but not nas4free. i believe you can do ftp streams but as you said bandwidth is an issue. especially upload speeds here in australia.

i had this idea where the server would transcode the video into a more compressed medium quality video; that then got streamed to a remote device, but i have no idea how to accomplish this on nas4free embedded which doesnt have native plugin support.

it is a cool concept though. having a space where you can host your own videos privately within family and friends.

linus uses it for editing, he made a video on editing 4k on a ultrabook with transcoded footage

alright i put it on my bookmark bar, i'll give it a try

I turn off adblock for content creators that have my full support. In example Tek Syndicate, but with that said some channels do not need anymore ad revenue support because they have a larger fan base. Which means they get more views and my minor view wont help them that much. There is times where the ads are just louder than the videos themselves, annoying, and down right obnoxious. Lets face it, everyone hates ads well at least for 364 days a year.

Lets put it like this There is 365 days in a year. People hate all kinds of advertisements for 364 days in that year. Meaning that on Sunday during the Superbowl, people like commercials and ads. Talk about strange.

Sometimes I do think that ads have subliminal meanings embedded in them.

I will gladly pick quality over quantity any day just as long as the quality remains the same. Regardless of the format.

Most people think that YouTube will last forever. Well I have some bad news. One day you could log in just like any other day and find out it has become like MySpace. Nothing last forever.

1 Like

Hey Quain,
So like a good viewer, I have disabled all my adblock extensions for the teksyndicate website.
When I view embedded YouTube videos on the website, I get 1 or 2 banner ads that will pop up on the bottom of the videoplayer. I was wondering if that means that you guys get ad revenue if an add is delivered from an embedded player, rather than directly from being on YouTube itself. It would greatly put my mind at ease to know for certain, as I love the content you make, and am more than happy to watch the non-obnoxious or curated ads that show up in your videos or on the website.

1 Like

a 100% PAID video hosting site is not going to work. Not for the mainstream audience that they're going for.
The exclusive content is a good idea, except it's horribly implemented. They're trying to (understandably) get YouTubers to sign on and promote the platform. The problem is that the YouTube audience is used ot having access to everything right from the get-go.
Having "exclusive" content just makes everyone angry at both Vessel and the content creators.
Even though I would love to see lazerteam from Roosterteeth, it's not worth it to me to buy a subscription just for that content. Not to mention, I don't like the lack of transparency of where my money would be going if I were to pay for YouTube red.
I hope Vessel does what Obsidian Entertainment did for their title "Armored Warfare"
Take a look at their chief competitor (World of Tanks) , keep the basic idea, change a few minor things, make it more accessible, less obscure, and get rid of the features that everybody complained about on the other platform/game.

I want to see it become a better version of YouTube, so that Google will finally start having some competition again. When companies are forced to compete for customers, it's us the customers who benefit.

Since the gang isn't locking content behind a paywall, I'm perfectly happy to keep an eye on it and see where it goes. If the web-player is solid, the UI manageable, the business model and privacy features clear, I might consider switching over to Vessel for their content entirely and abandoning YouTube for TEK content.

Until advertisers stop making me hate myself for thing I cannot even legally do then adblock is staying on. I have tried many time to turn it off but it is not worth the mental trauma.

If there was a way to see an ad and say, I don't like this show me something else. basically a filter of my own design where I could see the ads that would be relevant to me then I would have no issue with ads but quite frankly ads of people dying from smoking and car crashes and ladies hygiene just do nothing for me.

The ad system.is broken and does not understand target audiences, bake in your own relevant ads they are infinitely better and actually useful. Nothing is worse than sitting down to enjoy what should be the relaxing video to take your mind off what ever is happening only to be either dragged back to some horribly graphic video about people dying that I have literally zero control over, or bombarded with ads for stuff I cannot use even if I wanted to.

If vessel had a channel for Roku I would use it. I watch over that so you guys get ad money. Ad Block stays on, on my PCs and mobile.