VESSEL, an open discustion

now that teksyndicate is on vessel. I have a paid vessel account. is it more profitable for the teksyndicate team for me to go watch their video's on vessel or on youtube?

1 Like

Well I don't like Vessel. The concept of forcing users to pay a monthly fee to consume something previously free has some parasitic after taste.

Not that I watch LTT, its a show for the special needs ppl, yet moving their content to Vessel and posting everything else a week late is plain up telling their audience to go fuck themselves. (Ofc, considering their audience the only reaction would them be laughing cause someone said the F-word.)

I guess, as long as TS does not force any pay, its... ok?

Vessel still has the absolute objective to get users to subscribe and pay a monthly fee, so I am kinda worried?

What I like about TS is, appart from the content ofc, that they're not greedy bastards as LTT for example. They have no gated content and have some balls if it's about money.

I hope not to see TS head down the LTT road.

1 Like

Never have all your eggs in one basket. It is a recipe for disaster. :)

1 Like

I'm all in favor of anything that means not solely relying on YouTube. In fact I would love to see a huge exodus from YouTube...but that's a pipe dream obviously.

VESSEL is not the way to go. It's a flailing platform. I mean failing.

ActualIy, I think putting your stuff up on soundcloud for consuming on the go, is a great idea. Also as QAIN said, perhaps getting a deal with netflix is the best option, for your documentaries.

Also perhaps getting a deal with youtube red is another option.

Is it true that it has ads even while on subscription? I didn't see them when I tried it due to adblock, but if that's the case, then fuck no.

after watching the tek and the rant 30 on vessel I can say that it needs a bit of work. I have an issue not being able to watch video fullscreen on an I pad mini. but aside from that tiny gripe I cant find any flaw with the site itself. I do like that fact that there is now 3 ways to get the tek. YouTube, vessel, and audio podcast.

1 Like

3 Methods for Downloading Vessel Videos.
I have slow internet speeds so I download everything before watching.
I use "mps-youtube" to download normally.
Now with vessel here is what I do...

1 Slow) Firefox - with DownThemAll!
Go to video URL "https://www.vessel.com..."
Select Quality of video.
Go to https://video-download.online/ paste URL & Download.

2 OK speed) Right Click outside of Video - Select DownThemAll [Enter]
Select Pictures and Media Tab
Find "https://streams-a.vessel-static.com...."
Download .

3- Fastest & Linux only) for a Segmented Download- Really fast download for big files.
In DownThemAll Right Click - select Open instead of "Download". Video will play in firefox.
Copy URL " https://streams-a.vessel-static.com..."
Open a Terminal
lftp [Enter]
pget -n 40 [paste video url]
That's it.
You can download all the vessel videos using lftp in segmented download mode. The -n 40 is 40 segmented downloads at once.
Rename video file after download.

1 Like

In linux I have youtube-dl installed and just use the command line. Copy the URL and drop down terminal youtube-dl URL.
done

Thanks I'll give it a try. ;)

Lack of a 10ft UI makes the site worthless to me.

well you still get an advert at the start of videos, once my free trial is over, i will be canceling, Also the site and apps have loads of bugs with video playback randomly looping or going in low motion -2x and other things like that, and tbh Im not happy tek syndicate doing a U turn and going on there, and now saying some things they will charge for like long vlogs or whatever. Bet in a few more months they will slowly start saying they are prepared to charge for more things.

Bit confused with whats happening atm, especially with Patreon, seems lots of promises of good things to come with little to deliver, personally don't see how you can ask for money before your even nearly able to deliver anything even if it is a choice to donate.

It's interesting how much people are chewing on this. You do not need an account for our content, you don't need to pay, out content is not released early. It's simply another platform with good organizational tools for us as you. It pays higher per view. Lastly, i love how your can subscribe to our channel or just your favorite shows on our channel.

7 Likes

I think tek syndicate on vessel is a good thing because it is better to spread you're eggs in different places than have them in one box. For me vessel videos plays better on Linux then YouTube videos dose. I use korora linux distro based on fedora.

Yes, it's true.

Every video has a 5 second ad play before the actual video starts.

If that, the ads for my have been around 3 seconds. Far better than Youtube. though good point, even if your subscribed to their paid service you see ads...?

Excellent, I'll start watching at Vessel with adblock off.

The player runs very well here on Chrome. Even at 1.25x speed. ;-)

I got the year free with Linus. I wouldn't pay for it though.

I can understand wanting to use it though, especially as YouTube brings in less revenue. I'm even okay with the times exclusivity. Especially on things that aren't timed sensitive.

My problem is the player sucks.
It is slow to load, doesn't play in HD half the time and even on an excellent connection will stutter and freeze.

hey has the free year with linus ended yet? do you know when it will end, I just want to see linus' numbers drop and how spectacular that will be

The free year ends in march so the view count will plummet in two weeks :P