Velociraptor raid 0?

can i run 2 Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD5000HHTZ 500GB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive in raid? at $150 a piece would there be any advantage to having 2 of them in raid over using just one ssd? also, what is the difference between the colors of western digital hard drives? im looking for a pair of harddrives to put into raid to store movies/music/tv shows (unless its would be better just to use one bigger drive like a 1tb or 2tb). i have heard from different people that the harddrives over 500gb dont last as long as the harddrives under 500gb. im not sure if its true .....

won't be as fast as an SSD, but near the same performace, but more storage

i really just want to store a bit of totally legit movies and music, but i also want it to last.

I can't recommend Raptors for RAID. especially not RAID 0. If you want speed and durability for large storage I'd have to recommend WD RE4 drives, 4 of them 500GB in RAID 0+1. It will give you RAID 0 speed, 1TB of storage but also redundancy if one of the drives fails. You can buy them for $90 each right now, that's pretty cheap for enterprise grade HDDs.

Raid 5 is your friend.