Vega to launch at the end of July

this is for lower end gpu's likely fake. (like 590) etc

It won't be. nVidia have had enough time on the market with the 1080ti that it has made its money enoug so they can drop its price to anything AMD will try to compete with.

So Vega ell come out, be cheaper than a 1080ti enough to get people on board, then about a week in nVidia will drop the 1080ti to the same price as Vega and that will put an end to that.

Also keep in mind that while the 1080ti is the highest consumer card, there is still the Titan XP which is not the full die. So there is still potentially another card in there to out do the 1080ti if Vega turns out to hit 1080ti levels.

So to actual enthusiasts will plain skip Vega, or likely all ready have.

"I hope Vega is good", that is all that is needed to be said.

I have seen this so many times. Every. Single. Time.
Do you remember what happened with RYZEN, the GTX 1070/1080, or Fury?

"Product 'V' is to be released soon. Where is it? We were promised by someone that doesn't work there that it should have been out last year. No one knows anything about it but that won't stop me from guessing where it falls in relation to company 'N's product stack."

This never ending speculation on every new product is hilarious.
AMD will ship Vega when THEY think it is ready and that isn't going to be when you WANT it.
Be patient.

1 Like

Basically my thoughts. Had vega been out by now, preferably out prior to 1080 Ti, this could have been interesting. Now, its going to release more than half way through the gamer pascal line's life cycle. Sad to see.

Competition has made the cpu game very fun again, and genuinely good arguments can be made to buy AMD not just based on hatred for the "other" team. Looks like Nvidia is going to remain as king of the hill for a while... which sucks.

I will just point out, the OLD titan X pascal was not the full die, but the NEW Titan Xp IS the full die. The 1080 Ti has the same core count as the OLD titan X pascal at 3584, and the NEW titan Xp has 3840.

IMHO, I think they would have already released it if they could. Whether it be drivers, die or HBM supply, or something else, IDK, I bet there's a reason it's taking this long. There's a reason Nvidia isn't putting HBM2 on everything yet, or seems to be planning to do so with Volta. It's expensive and limited. We also do have to consider that Vega is looked at a pretty big die size, thought to be in the range of 475mm^2 to 500mm^2. Nvidia is pushing much smaller silicon, with cheaper and easier memory.

I view them paper launching instead of putting the card up for sales as a move to stay relevant and keep the Vega name in consumers minds. I think them launching the smaller volume professional cards as a dead giveaway that there is some kind of supply issue. They can probably manage to put out a smaller number of cards, but not the higher-volume of consumer cards that they hope to move.

Whoops, I though I had heard that somewhere.

Sorry about that.

1 Like

That's actually the best news for us (customers). If 1080 Ti will be as cheap as Vega (which is not likely) and has a better performance I'll buy it. The most depressing thing on the market for quite some time is that Nvidia is the monopolist in high-end.

But this does not change that monopoly. If there is a competition but they effectively all ready lost than the top spot remain in monopoly control.

If it is not worth it, and it is increasingly looking that way, then people will not buy it. So it may as well not exist.

The thing is that if AMD will force Nvidia to drop their prices on strongest products that will actually break their monopoly in the high-end at least for the time until they will release new most powerful "new Titan XXL" or something like that which will be much more powerful than Vega. This will give AMD some time to make something new. For now Nvidia can actually sell their flagship products for any price they want which is very bad for customers and actually it can't be much worse even if the Vega will be an epic fail.

Just stop speculating everyones heads off, get to work again and wait till it's here folks.

It's not going to get here any faster if we keep talking about it.

Competition is not about who's sitting on the tallest throne.

I'm supporting AMD because we'll be utterly fucking boned if there's only Nvidia/Intel. It'll be like going back to the days of IBM exclusivity in the 60's to 80's and that was a very bad time.

Keep in Mind, AMD is a company that's doing what two other companies do combined with the budget of a quarter of them. At this point AMD are god damn miracle workers as it is or Nvidia & Intel are lazy as hell.

3 Likes

i know what you mean, but we've seen countless of times where they were just sitting on products, especially since company i work with, occasionally get engineering samples. (we had 'zen' server platform samples in December last year.)
- they sat on server hardware for at least 6-7months now.

in terms of HBM2, while it may be expensive, samsung and hynix are now doing the production. It should be cheaper, much cheaper than HBM(1st), even technology is done to be cheaper. Smaller die's are cheaper, so its obvious you'll make more profit on them.

I only hope coin miners will buy the frontier cards, but again i hope the price isn't terrible as i just may go with forntier version if normal rx vega gets 8GB of hbm only.

The hardware is generally finished LONG before software component.

I think the writing has been on the wall, AMD have serious problems getting Vega out. It also looks like Vega is enterprise first, consumers and games second. Most of the info I've seen about Vega has been about compute and HPC. And as some others have expressed concerns, it wouldn't be too surprising if the Rx cards are mostly just shown at the end of July/beginning of August. Reference cars might tickle out, but the custom MSI, Asus etc will probably be later. Last I heard, partners had got no Vega chips at all from AMD.

We'll see I guess. Meanwhile, my Hawaii cards still work just fine.

Why is Vega late? My guess:

• Restricted HBM supply
  • Process issues, Samsung 14nm LPP wasn't really made for really large chips
  • Driver issues. The more I think about it, the more I think it is the big thing.

Lots of new stuff in Vega that needs new software to even work. Probably why they didn't show any performance counters on the last couple of demos. There is probably still some serious work to be done on the drivers to make them work properly. I think they have compute pretty much figured out. Graphics not so much. That tiled rasterizer for example, probably underestimated how much driver work it requires. Their new memory model also needs a whole new driver to work as it is nothing like their old model. Needs to work with old software too, double whammy. Maybe there is a whole new shader compiler? Like when Nvidia moved from Kepler to Maxwell.

My 'theory' is more like that Vega isn't late.

Rather that marketing/Pr was far too early, forced to announce it before it was ready to please the money men.

Production scaling with any new product is always quite a challenge, Vega is hugely hyped as it is and demand will be high.

It takes a while to go from engineering/demo samples to full production runs, high yields and eventually stockpiling & shipping enough cards to cover demand.

But as it is right now AMD is currently in high gear to solve software, firmware and driver problems, writing up new documentation for the new architecture, testing it, re testing it, and even redesigning hardware for the final production run that will be happening right around now.

By the middle of next month there will be warehouses in china and across the globe sitting full of thousands of new Vega Cards.

And boy they will be good, 1080Ti beating performance at a pretty significant lower cost.

Sources undisclosed

2 Likes

I'm not saying you're wrong, AMD marketing is often its own worst enemy :slight_smile:
I could totally see it that the engineering people over at RTG very well knew that Vega wouldn't be ready until mid 2017 and has been grinding their teeth and suffered in silence while marketing did their thing. I think Raja kinda hinted at it a couple of times, also some remarks about their budget being tight etc. It will be done when it's done, as per usual.

Charlie D on twitter:

Screenshot:

Further down in the thread:

Soo building up inventories to not do a paper launch. Sounds okay to me.

1 Like

Yeah definitely, especially when 1080 launched, maybe 10 to 20 people could actually purchase it.
Sure some of us could be fed up but if we have waited this long a month is no issue.

Just seen some review vids for the Frontier Ed. card. Sucks that AMD didnt send out any samples to tech tubers, but from what their benchmarks shown, it performs moreorless on par w/ a 1080 even though it's considered a Pro card

Outperforms a bunch of Quadro cards in the same price bracket.
This card is mainly about compute performance, not gaming.

Also this is your reminder not to 'necro' old threads, have a read though the forum guidelines, you get a badge for it too :wink:. Otherwise start a new thread if you deem it necessary and spice it up with sources and references.