Vega to launch at the end of July

Official launch of Half Life 3 RX Vega will be at Siggraph July 30.

Frontier edition at the end of June.

The wait continues.

1 Like

I missed the stream, this is the "frontier edition" right. That is not aimed at gamers. The rumour is they appear to be having performance/driver issues with gaming vega which is why the no show really of any of that to do with vega.

It might be some time more before desktop card that are for actual gaming show up.

Unless I missed a lot in the stream.

I think its meant to be all editions. The frontier may get released sooner since its a limited card.

Sorry I should have mentioned that, the Frontier edition releases at the end of June, the gaming version at the end of July.

Hmm, RX Vega at Siggraph? That's basically the E3 for all things CGI, interesting marketing strategy. They're targeting developers essentially, if you don't have the hardware you go for optimizations hard, and what better way than at Siggraph where all developers congregate? I'm sure AMD's GPUOpen is a big deal there too.

@Gamers: 53:35 Prey 4k test (Ryzen Threadripper + Radeon RX Vega x2). Actually they didn't show anything special we could already get stable 60 FPS on 4k ultra settings in this game with 1080 Ti. I would like to see real stress tests.

No proof that it was even Vega to be honest. That could have been on an RX 550, 1080p & 30fps for all we know. Or even just a video of someone playing it on an Nvidia card.

It was pretty much pointless to show.

1 Like

.....The point is that vega isn't 1000 dollars like ripoffvidia and its doing 60-4k.

Actually I don't know what will be the price but rumors said that it will be about $100 cheaper than 1080 Ti and I hope that Vega will be able compete with it in terms of performance. But what I mean is that we couldn't see the real Vega's potential so far even if this is not fake (as @Mora suggested). Probably we have to wait for the end of June to see real tests.

2 Likes

Exactly, I hope that Vega is awesome. I can't wait to have it in my system.

Just saying, that the gameplay they showed was just a poor attempt to appease the folks screaming for Vega to be released.

No specs, no fps of the footage, no details on which cards they were even using, just some footage of a guy standing in a doorway.

What I take from this, is that performance isn't as good as they need it to be & that they are trying like crazy to push it to the next level- hence the delays.

I guess they needed to say something, I just don't think that this was enough.

I think their drivers are a little bit unstable, maybe standing in the doorway was the only way they could get it to not crash LOL

Well i think this just takes too long i´m affraid.

3 Likes

I'll just wait, I'm forcing some life out of my FuryX at 4k still. Plus its ITX compatible. Oh and I'm poor atm :disappointed:

It's fairly clear at this point that several things are conspiring against Vega. Driver issues are the big one with Raja in his AMA claiming it was one of their biggest challenges that they have yet to solve. They are under extra pressure to now to extract as much as they can to better compete with the 1080 Ti which they never planned to do but now is required.

Next is HBM2. HBM2 is expensive and difficult to produce. There isn't very much of it to go around. They are building the supply. This is also why FE is launching first. FE is NOT like the Nvidia Founders Edition but rather a card aimed squarely at the professional workstation and developer market. They generally always get the new products first especially when they are rare and expensive to produce as the higher MSRP they are willing to pay eats up some of the costs.

Lastly, I think AMD got caught with their pants down by the 1080 Ti. People claim they had to have seen it coming. Which is true. However I don't think they thought it would be as "cheap" as it is. Don't get me wrong it's still a lot of cash but many, myself included, thought that it would be more. After the FE stuff they pulled I was expecting $900-1000 for it. I think AMD was as well.

Vega they stated was to bring 4K to the masses like Polaris with VR. They targeted a performance level between that of 1080 and 1080 Ti and were going to charge less. 90% of a 1080 Ti for 60% of the price. What we have seen so far of Vega points to it being a bit slower than a 1080 Ti. They supply problems are now pushing it into Volta territory which is really dangerous..

nVidia will likely have and keep the crown for the foreseeable future. They have too much money and AMD really can't compete. They don't even want to anyway because no one buys their high end cards even when they actually are significantly better.

It's disappointing but it is true.

Vega is probably DOA imo at least for the high end add in cards. In APUs and mobile/pro it may win until Volta arrives in force but I wouldn't expect much from consumer AIBs. You should probably buy a 1080 Ti now.

Also who the fuck is in charge of AMDs marketing. This wouldn't be as bad if they didn't claim "Poor Volta" and then show that horrid Prey demo. At this rate performance looks like ass and yeah it will be here when Volta comes and probably get trashed because it can hardly compete with Pascal.

2 Likes

Hopefully this series of cards by AMD is competitive enough to force a price war.

All I personally need is a viable upgrade from an overclocked R9 Fury at a reasonable price. And I'm in no real hurry to be honest even while gaming at 1440p. August or September would fit me well. Even after Vega has been released the most important question for AMD will remain to be how well RX 570/580 stacks up on price/performance in its price range.

I don't keep up that much with the rumors on Nvidias next chips, but doubt they even want to replace the products along the GTX 1050/1060 range this year. Even with AMD catching up a little they ought to make a lot of money on those chips.

(small rant)
in my opinion which i voiced many times over: well they are very late... again they were sitting on a product too long, and are sitting on it too long - loosing potential hi-end customers to nvidia. Its not Radeon division which impacted the delay. It was AMD, it was focused mainly on CPU's on 2017Q1, and their marketing/accounting team for picking such a late dates. Biggest mistake AMD does is sit on product for half of a year, when they have it - its ready, they can make it; yet marketing team doesn't find those dates as profitable and gauges for events.

Now its completely pardon my language, fucked up... they paper 'release' graphics professional level hardware on computex, and later at Siggraph they plan to release a consumer version? You can't fuck it up more... Whomever came out with such a plan to wait half of the year, and do it like that deserves to be fired, and that's that.

Proper approach would be to talk about consumer stuff today, let the AIB have their 5min or so, and then jump to RX Vega, show some demo's, with stats, tell customers what models of vega there will be, etc... maybe price ranges you expect to sell it for. Computex is and should, should be all consumer related "We love PC", just look at the faces of the press - they were stunned, to point they didn't even know how to react to the lack of info they presented... they didn't show anything. Anything a consumer would buy.
Look at the faces of the press,

they are literally description of the what the fuck.

1 Like

Its not that bad, NVIDIA's next product based on Volta isn't going to make an appearance until Q1/2 2018. So AMD has some room to f'k up, however not much room. If in 2 months time they are still having a major release issue with VEGA then its going to be quite negative impact for them.

NVIDIA is probably laying back in their chair smoking a big old cigar right about now...

Also people forget, consumer grade video cards for high end isn't where the money is at. People acting like if AMD doesn't have a consumer 1080ti competitor out they will go bust. LOL. Ever heard of machine learning industry? yeah trillions in that!

I hope this is wrong

Yeah, that basically means NVIDIA can keep their high price scheme going well into next year as no competition = higher priced top end cards. Hell they could sell their Volta cards for $2k if all their got to defend against is ageing RX Vega cards in 2018...

1 Like