Vega Frontier Questions

I’m planning a new build and looking at possibly getting a Vega Frontier over the Vega 64. I’d like to support AMD over Nvidia. Given AMDs track record of getting better support over time.

Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with either or both those cards?

I’ll get a water block for whichever I get to keep thermals in check. Not too concerned about cost cause I won’t upgrade again for several years.

I mainly record music and edit on an old Mac Pro currently. But I’ll relearn what I need to to switch to Pc.

I also like to game at high resolution and am planning to pick up the adobe creative suite for video as well.

As far as i am aware, the frontier driver is some way behind (like 3-6 months) the driver available for Vega 64 or 56.

I’m not sure whether or not you can hack things to get the current Adrenalin driver on a Frontier card.

Unless you have very specific requirements that will benefit from 16 GB of HBM2, i’d steer clear of frontier as the price is a lot more and the performance is just not really any different unless you have a specific application that requires that much memory.

I have a pair of Vega 64 cards in my system at the moment (reference design, air cooled) and imho the power draw issues are overblown. Run the power save driver setting and performance is not affected too much, but power draw drops a lot.

A water block will most definitely help.

The one thing I suspect that may push you towards frontier actually is the water block. I believe reference design 56/64 are pretty much end of sale, but the blocks available are currently made for reference boards including frontier.

A single Vega 64 in my experience runs pretty much anything thrown at it. The fan noise is annoying, but putting it on water will fix that.

1 Like