Vega 64 having issues POSTing on specific hardware

System specs:
Intel Core i7 6700k CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z170-UD3 motherboard
Powercolor Red Devil Vega 64
Corsair Vengeance 3200CL16 2x8Gb
Corsair RM750x PSU (750w)

I’ve built a system intended for VR with a couple spare components. Windows installed fine and everything worked while using the iGPU but as soon as I plugged in my Vega, everything broke.

The Vega works in my Ryzen PC where it originally was used and my backup R7 270 works perfectly in both systems. I’ve had a couple different things happen with the Vega connected:

• Most common: The system fails to post and hangs at code 96 (assign PCI device resources)
  • Sometimes: The system hangs on a different, seemingly random, diagnostic code.
  • Rarely: System successfully posts and starts Windows 10. No display output from Vega. KB+M functional and can RDP into system. HWinfo shows weird data (4 billion Mhz at 11 deg c). Adrenalin will not launch or claim GPU\driver is missing. Vega shows up in device manager as Other device (Generic VGA). The GPU would normally light up an LED indicating performance level inside OS but it does not.

Things I’ve tried:

• Swapped GPUs (as above)
  • Tried different slots. Initially looked like it improved but it went back to not posting.
  • Reset CMOS
  • Experimented with different BIOS settings (like Above 4G or Option ROM settings)
  • Different order of power cable to different slots on Vega.
  • Different video cables and monitors.
  • Already was on newest BIOS version (F23g)
  • Tried with Linux. I can see references to a PCIe device in dmesg but don’t see it in lspci.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get the Vega to work, they would be greatly appreciated.

do you have any other Expansion cards installed? GPU, capture cards, sound cards?

It’s just the Vega. No other PCI devices are plugged in.

Have you tried disabling the integrated GPU manually from the BIOS?

I’ve tried disabling the iGPU and nothing changed.

I’ve noticed it started happening with other GPUs as well so it’s most likely a motherboard issue.

Is it freezing, or spontaneously rebooting? If the latter, I would definitely suspect the PSU. If the former, I would be less suspicious of the PSU, but I wouldn’t rule it out.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.