Vega 56 works fine in games, fails at compute - does it make sense?

Hi,

I have a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 and it’s a peculiar one - it seems to work flawlessly in games, but can’t run Folding@home properly. I always get the “Particle coordinate is nan” error after a while. It also fails in clgpustress.

I’ve tried both BIOS settings and it’s the same. I’ve tried underclocking and even added a tiny bit of voltage, no luck.

I normally use Linux but I installed Windows 10 for a while just to check the card, and it behaves the same way. Games are good, compute is not.

I also have a Radeon Pro WX4100 in the system and it works fine with the same drivers.

The PSU is a brand new Seasonic Focus PX 850. Everything is completely stable otherwise.

Is there anything else I could try or should I assume I got a dud?

It makes sense to me unfortunately.

Gaming cards are tested to not make obvious artifacts on screen when running. Workstation cards are tested for correct and accurate results and usually ship at lower clock speeds.

You might be able to get better compute results by lowering the clock speeds on the card. Which I guess you tried? But maybe try going down even more.

You could just have a dud card. I don’t know of a way to run memtest on a GPU, but it is definitely possible to have a hard memory error in RAM. You’d never notice it while gaming but a computation job definitely would.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.