Vega 56 no display problem

I have this problem with my PC. In short, after a while, when the PC is idle, it stops outputting video and the system freezes. Doesn’t respond to input or monitor restarting or plugging or unplugging the video card.

I’m not exactly sure if it’s a GPU problem, but after I manually restart the system, I get a little pop-up saying: "Defaul Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure.

My card (Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56) has that feature that it keeps the fans off unless it reaches a certain threshold temperature. (I’m not sure if this is a Vega 56 property or this card in particular)

I thought that perhaps the card was heating up too much too quickly and the fans weren’t responding so it was shutting off, so I changed the default fan profile to always on in WattMan. However, this doesn’t seem to help.

Listed below are my system specifications.

Asus X570 Strix-E with the newest bios installed (1.0.0.4). Chipset drivers are also up to date.

Ryzen 3900X, stock cooler, stock settings. PBO off. I tried the regular power plan, the AMD Ryzen Power plan and the 1usmus Custom Power Plan 1usmus Custom Power Plan. It happens on all of them.

4x8GB sticks of 3200MHz CL16, running at rated XMP settings.

1x Samsung SSD 256GB with Win10 on it, 1x Crucial 240GB SSD from, and 1x WD HDD

EVGA 850BQ 80+ bronze PSU. The PCIe power cable is NOT daisy chain connected. I have two directly from the PSU to the GPU.

HP Omen 32. Connected by a display port cable.

Win10 with the latest update and Radeon drivers are also fully updated.

I’ve turned off sleep and hibernate both on windows and the monitor itself.

This has been happening for a while - persists through different windows and driver updates. Furthermore, my games run perfectly well - Deus Ex Mankind Divided, and Star Citizen among others, somewhat less demanding.

The problem seems to occur only when the PC is idle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any sort of screensaver or sleep for the display turned on? Maybe Windows “fixed” itself on that latest update?

Oh, also turn off any kind of power savers like c-states in BIOS. More often than not in my experience that shit just doesn’t work properly.

No screensaver, only a static image as a desktop background.

I’ll try the c-states thing in BIOS next.

Alright, I’ve turned off the c-states.

Also, I’ve found another option under AMD CBS called “Power Supply Idle Control”. It has a few options

• Low Current Idle
  • Typical Current Idle
  • Auto

Seems awfully suspicious this thing. Currently it’s set to “Low Current Idle”.

Yeah that sounds odd. I really don’t think this is a GPU issue the more I think about it. Either power saving BS or software.

You could boot some linux stick turn compositing, sleep and screensaver off and let it just sit there over night. If it still happens, it’s not software.

So I just came home. Left the PC on before I left. It’s alright, no crash or anything. Seems like the c-states were causing it. Thank you.

I’m not entirely convinced this is over, so I’ll post an update if it happens again.

For now, this should be moved to MOBO/CPU section.

2 Likes

It happened again! This morning I turned on the PC and left it on when I went to work. When I came back, it was still running (ca 12 hours). And then, with no input from me, it happened. All fans started spinning at (persumably) 50%, the system froze and there was no display.

Next thing I’ll try is that “Power Supply Idle Control”. I’ll set it to “Typical Current Idle” and see what happens.

Also try the linux stick thing to check if it’s software or not.

It happened again with both c-states disabled and “Typical Current Idle”.

Now in ubuntu, running directly from a USB drive. Will see if I can replicate it.

I tried two tests. Left it overnight with linux on. No crash.

This morning, before I went to work, I also left it running linux from a USB stick. No crash.

I also updated my wifi, ethernet and audio drivers - they weren’t up to date - and uninstalled Asus Armoury Crate.

Will see what happens next. I am planning on buying a new nvme ssd. Obviously, I’ll be installing my OS on it, but until that happens, I’m open to suggestions.

I managed to replicate it! And get this - it happens when I turn off the lights in the bathroom!

I’m gonna try it once more just to make sure. And then try to replicate it in Linux as well.

1 Like

The plot thickens.

I managed to replicate it once more in windows.

However, no matter how much I tried, the Linux running from the USB stick doesn’t crash. Rather peculiar.

ROFLMAO!

I mean, great thing you found it and it’s a relatively easy fix. But now we have to add that to the standard list of troubleshooting.

“Hey, forum! I have a problem with my PC”

“Right, here’s what you do: Try turning it off and on again. Check if all cables are plugged in correctly. Go to your bathroom and flip the lightswitch a few times. … That should do it.”

:rofl:

Anyway, I see a UPS in your future. :smiley:

1 Like

And a bright future it will be! Either that, or I brush my teeth in darkness. XD

There is one more peculiarity though… Why doesn’t linux crash?

It must mean that some components are more sensitive to voltage/current instability than others: my money is on the hard drive.

Maybe try plugging it out and leaving only the SSDs plugged in? Then try to replicate it?

Actually I’m wondering what PSU you have in your system. It should even out spikes if it’s a good one.

Ok, EVGA. Hard to say, I don’t think they actually make any PSUs. So it depends what the unit really is underneath the new branding.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.