Vega 10 and 12 reset application

Ordered a 5700xt. It’ll be here Aug 1st. Once it’s installed my Radeon 7 is totally free for testing. I’m more than willing to cover shipping both ways, and sign a piece of paper stating I wont hold you responsible if it dies or falls into the ocean blah blah. Is that something that would be helpful? I do need the card back but not for a while, and if it dies/gets lost I’ll just get another 5700xt when I need it

7 Likes

It certainly would be helpful! PM me when you’re ready and I will pass on the shipping details. Thanks!

2 Likes

Will do!

2 Likes

I;ll be happy to reimburse shipping at least. Same for anyone that wants to send hardware @gnifs way thats needed.

5 Likes
11 Likes

Trying to reset my RX 56 gives me this error.

I’ve applied the kernel patch but I’m still on kernel 5.1, Do I need to update or is that irrelevant?

This tool doesn’t cover 100% of use cases, there is a new version that was demonstrated in the video

Thank you for spending the time and effort to work on this.

I know you would need hardware and time for development, but is there any technical reason this same method would not work on the RX 400 and RX 500 series cards?

2 Likes

bleh card wont be here till monday

I donated a bit to help you towards getting a new Navi card. If nobody else donates in the next days I guess I’ll donate the rest of your goal…

I appreciate you working to fix these issues, I have ran into them in the past as well… I don’t know why AMD doesn’t just fix this problem considering how long its been a thing now…

2 Likes

In the future, it would be cool for gnif to give an ELI5 post on how exactly this reset fix works.

But if he is not allowed to for NDA reasons, I totally understand.

1 Like

I am not under a NDA, the reset procedure however is not well documented and I am trying to get more information from AMD on exactly what the abbreviated register names mean.

3 Likes

A huge thank you to everyone that has contributed to the cost of the AMD RX 5700!

The GoFundMe is now fully funded, once the funds are available to me I will order this card and do my best not to dissapoint!

10 Likes

I’m working on a hardware that switch off(PCIe hot swap -> reset GPU) the external 8pin connector power ,that is controlled by an Arduino(prototype) and host USB connection. Hardware: Sapphire RX-580 8G nitro. It’s working!! A software only solution would be nice!!

2 Likes

R7 works well in macOS.

You also don’t need to really reboot your host once you shutdown the VM. You can reset the R7 by writing to a few /sys/bus/pci/… files and performing a suspend/resume. (That’s what I’m doing).

I wish you would have mentioned that your campaign was in AUD. Because I was totally willing to spend USD 50 but spent only ~30 in the end :slight_smile:

Funny. I have the RX580 8G pulse and that one doesn’t require any reset hack. Resets itself just fine. Debugging this issue must be “”"“fun”"""

Have you tried it with a Linux vm? My RX580 have a reset bug if using linux vm, but has no one if using windows vm. See this: Secondary gpu passthrough of amd rx580 to Linux vm problem

This is not about the rx580, vega 10/12 only! (ie, vega 56/64/FE)

yep - have two RX580, when both are used they have some issues.