VDSL Modem - whole network solution

thank you anyways for the other usefull informations

1 Like

The only real modem only popular solutions are the DrayTek 130, and the Openreach Modem. Almost everything else is some WiFi router with built in modem.

I run a DrayTek 130 + Ubiquiti solution.

You would need to check what ever modem you use is compatible with the protocols used to give you 150mbps

You might need the DrayTek 160 for example to support faster protocols like G.Fast. Protocols may vary if your in the different country so youā€™d need to do research.

what did you spent roughly on your solutin? and what makes it better then just having a DSL AC68U

i want the same but i dont know why

Couple of hundred. DrayTek 130, USG, switch, AP. Switch only because I needed PoE anyway for a few things. Iā€™ve used pfsense as well before, and the AC68U elsewhere.

Just depends on budget, whoā€™s looking after it, and how much hassle you want.

The DrayTek is a rock solid modem, I use it because I wonā€™t something pretty much guaranteed to work (which it does). But Ā£80 on a modem isnā€™t always needed in someone elseā€™s house. Same with the USG, good because you can remote manage, but do you need all the features? Itā€™s not as powerful as pfsense but less of a pain to manage. But Kane al you need is a AC68U and let it run and forget about it.

Iā€™ve considered before putting a USG in every family members house :smile:

thank you for your answer.
that sounds like the solution i wanted to go for aswell. remote manage sounds like something my parents would ā€œneedā€

what rly does the USG?

What do you mean?

i dont get whats ā€œsecureā€

As in what the USG does?

It provides routing and security features (firewall, vpn, VLAN control, IDS/IPS (affects maximum throughput), DPI, etc.), among other things.

Its the equivalent of pfsense essentially.

On the modem side, these are the modems in testing for the UKs ā€œG.Fastā€ (300-500mbps) testing.

Huawei MT992
ZINWELL zGFS-1001C
Technicolor MediaAccess TG799vac Xtream
Alcatel Lucent F-240W-A

(there are others though)

ITU G.9700 / G.9701 is the technology. It may not apply to your connection as its fairly new, you need to see what your line uses to get the 150mbps.

thank you for your informations. i get it now
atleast i think that.
probably going to go for the all in one solution for my parents house
but for my own futur house/flat i am going for the DrayTek.

looks like the newer moduls and are to new for the german internet. so not going to need them

If you want a second opinion from ppl on a german forum maybe try also posting your question here:

1 Like