VDSL Modem - whole network solution

My Internet sucks and i want to change that. But i am to stupid to find the way on my own. so i come here to this great forum for some help.

i am looking for an upgrade over my Fritz.Box 7490 after a quick search i found Ubiquiti, looks like great stuff but i total dont get how all of this works.

for example https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/ does this have a modem?

could someone please tell me the steps the “internet” takes and a good product for each? i am willing to drop some money on it if if never have to think about it again.

atm i live at my parents house and they are scared that they are helpless if i move out and it stops working. so something DIY like pfsene wouldnt be a good option

some key points and usecases:
-three persons with desktops
-a lot of handheld devices
-future proof for a NAS and streaming music
-location is germany
-150Mbit/s
-Telekom
-PoE would be cool but isnt a must have

i hope i said everything important and thank you for your time reading about my problem

Well that Ubiquity router doesn’t have a VDSL modem.

Well for a top of the range VDSL modem for your parents something like this should be a drop in and forget as they probably don’t need much extras and should last them a while technology wise.

i am a bit hesitant in buying a all-in-one solution since i heard a lot of bad stuff. and it would sit in the basemant so the W-lan accespoint is not the best.

Well if the internet sucks and you’re connecting via WIFI then it could be that the signal strength just sucks. Are you sure that you don’t just need some proper WIFI hardware connected to that older router?

Something like this should do a good job of getting WIFI where you need it:

https://unifi-mesh.ubnt.com

its both. yes the signal strenght sucks. but sitting next to it with a lan doesnt help a lot. the fritz.box reboots every other hour.

talking about laying cables atm so a whole new solution would be nice.

thats why i want PoE for that i can place two or more W-lan accespoints in the house

Is this the correct model of your current modem?

Keep in mind that buying a top-tier modem but not upgrading your shit internet of 1Mbit U/D, will not do anything for your throughput or latency.

You need both a modem which supports the correct number of QAM channels and is >=DOCSIS 3.0.

And a semi-decent router as well.

If you want wifi then you also need to have good wifi coverage as well. You can achieve many different ways.

And it goes without saying that you need the proper ethernet cables to hook everything together too. CAT6/a is good, but in a pinch, you could get away with CAT5e for runs <= 100 ft.

This is just for your LAN (local network/ first hop). If your ISP still runs phone lines/copper to your house then your issues still may not be resolved upon upgrading your hardware.

We will need lots of details, and you need to conduct tests before anything definitive can be determined IMO.

yes this is my current modem

i think 150 MBit/s is more then enough for every home user.

And yes i am intrested in a whole new solution. but i dont rly understand what boxes i need. thats why i asked for a “step by step” answer with an hardware example for each.

since i am a noob i dont rly know what details you need more.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll be able to post more later.

EDIT: Incorrect info was here before

Hes on a phone line m8

1 Like

as the title says. we have VDSL. and we have the 150MBit/s connection. now its time to work on a solution to get that from the wall to my PC

Ok. Well, plug a PC into the modem directly and speed test to see what you get throught the modem.

You want us to recommend hardware for your ISP when we know nothing about it friend. You need to get in touch with them and see what you need to buy a modem. They dont all do the same thing the same way.

Dont know how it works there but here the modem equipment is usually leased from the ISP. You can by all means get your own modem but you’ll need to get a list of approved hardware from them. Not everything plays nice.

atm the FritzBox is pluged into the wall and my PC to it. and i get 138MBit/s.
but the fritz.box reboots everyother hour.

the whole thing is more i WANT not i NEED

TBH that asus that @StrY recommended doesnt seem too bad. I know some people are zealots about all in one devices but those are also usually the people running pfsense on full blown PCs. I wouldnt put much weight on that.

Personally I would go for the DSL AC68U instead because the 88 is a bit overkill with wireless AC 3100. I have the non medem version of the N66U and AC66U. They are very capable devices with nice firmware. I wouldnt doubt the modem versions are the same story.

If you did want to go with a separate modem I tend to prefer motorola stuff but I dont really know whats out there for VDSL. VDSL isnt very big in the US so excuse my ignorance. Here, If you dont have fiber you are dominated by either ADSL (which is dogshit slow) or Coax which is about as fast as what you have in most areas.

This TP link seems like a good price point

This is the ASUS I was referring to

Both seem to be good options

For a separate modem and router combo, I’m not really seeing anything that doesnt have built in routing capabilities. It seems like you would have to buy one and disable that function, then run your own router. It doesnt seem like that would really be worth it when you could just buy a good device in the first place.

If you really want to separate those devices you could probably get the TP link and turn off its routing functions. I would then probably use an ASUS RT-AC66U.

To do that you would put the RT-AC66U in the DMZ of the TP Link and disable things like wireless on the TP-Link.

Again, I see no real reason to do it this way unless you really must have them separated for some reason.

thanks a lot for your effort. didnt know that VDSL isnt a thing in the USA.

even with german links. really thank you.

and then just hook a switch up to the DSL AC68U with PoE and then to the different PCs and accespoints?

is there something from ubiquiti that would do the same for me? i dont know why but i am a litle fan boy. and i dont find anyhting that says modem on their website

If you really want to go the ubiquity route still, sure. I dont see it as being necessary unless you have a large area you need to serve wireless to. I dont know how big your house is or how good or bad the signal would be.

You’ll have to use your best judgement.

I like their equipment too but its not really cost effective to me.

I really dont think there is anything even remotely modem like from them…

This seems to confirm that

our house is not to big. but its a german house, thick walls and a lot of them.

so just use ubiquity for the W-Lan?

and why are people buying routers? not doubting you. just want to learn

Unless you’re not receiving the nominal speed/throughput from your ISP, throwing hardware at this issue will not solve your problem. What you need to implement is traffic shaping. I built my own pfSense router/firewall, from a disused PC, years ago for this very reason and it actually made my DSL connection tolerable.

Before pfSense, I couldn’t watch a video and check my e-mail, without the video choking and stuttering. Now, I can watch a half dozen videos simultaneously and still check my e-mail with no ill effects. I still use my ISP’s provided DSL modem, I’ve just disabled everything, such as WiFi, which isn’t absolutely necessary. pfSense handles everything else, such as firewall, router, dhcp, NTP, etc., etc.

If pfSense does not appeal to you, the traffic shaper in the Ubiquiti routers is both effective and easy to use.

I’m not sure what you are asking exactly. Could you explain more?

Sure sounds like he needs some hardware.

the usecase of

https://www.draytek.de/vigor130.html

looks like the only solution if i go the separate route. Sorry for the german but didnt found an englisch link

Pfsense isnt a good solution in this case since one day i am going to move out and my parents would have big problems if that thing stoped working. at least thats whats i am thinking.
i would love to try that and ask a lot more stupid questions here. but for my own home i am going to do that

I’m the wrong person to ask.

My setup is a linksys WRT3200AC > ASUS RT-AC66U > ASUS RT-N66U

I use the ASUS in AP mode. The linksys is my router.