Vault 7 (wikileaks data dump)

[ intensely watches pfSense for updates... ]

Maybe I should just unplug from the internet...

7 Likes
4 Likes

"The leaked user-pages also reveal a disturbing mentality engendered in these faceless software authors. The overall tone is one of predatory enthusiasm."

predatory enthusiasm

This feels like déjà vu. Can't quite put my finger on... Oh right, the Baghdad Airstrike... The thing that really snowballed the whole whistleblower movement. Also featured a trigger happy order-following Call of Duty hero who could best be described by those words. Meanwhile, his colleague on the ground had a completely different picture of the scene.

less than 1%

Excellent. The worst possible thing they could do is release it all at once. Because the people would barely be able to do anything about it. The machiavellists know that good should be handed out in small portions over a longer period of time, while evil should be done in one big action, and if it's well planned and covered in murky events it's going to be almost painless. Wikileaks aims to reverse that evil part, and build up dissatisfaction over time. Which is excellent because every time the bastards try to defend themselves, Wikileaks will just slam dunk and expose their lies. Now the bastards are also proven to be liars. Makes them untrustworthy, and the more they defend themselves, the harder they get slammed.

[popcorn intensifies]

4 Likes

I was not aware whatsapp added end to end encryption. But still if they have backdoors into android and iOS who knows if that even matters.

tl:dw

1. This leak damages the US' ability to do "legitimate foreign intelligence", making the US and other countries less safe
  2. Those that did this are not loyal Americans
  3. It's the millennials' fault. They have "different understandings" of secrecy and transparency than his generation.

-- insert random facepalm gif here --

8 Likes

wow...

Somebody send him this:
(my fave Adam Conover video ever)

(sorry, a little off topic)

1 Like

The fact that I didn't see anything for windows phones is kind of funny, even people as data hungry as that lot can't be bothered with the minority by the sounds of it!

That's because intelligence agencies only use windows phones, so they don't want to produce exploits for it. /endtinfoil

But on the serious side, this is only "1%" of the leak so I would expect some exploits for it.

1 Like

No point making tools for a phone that has a market share of 40 people.

7 Likes

Yup

@anon43920604 You still have that HTC with WP? If so, hang on to it.

1 Like

Samsung was in this wiki leaks release also.

I believe we had a thread on Samsung Smart TVs spying on its users. But I'll bring it up anyway. Even if your Sammy Smart TV is off, the microphone can still pick up voices and sounds in a room.

What a bad couple of years for Samsung.

3 Likes

Considering it.

I hate it. No apps work for it, and it crashes ALL. THE. TIME.

Watching a video on youtube through internet explorer, the only browser available? You were done with that so it's just closed now.

Good video, good channel, if anyone is interested.

1 Like

Thats where i heard about it first.

I just dont have anything to say that hasnt already been said

1 Like

Why do all these "intelligence officers" remind me of lead character, "George Smiley" from the John le Carré novels.

1 Like

Not surprised, and no nothing will change, new secrets, dark projects continue as usual (accountable to know-one)

3 Likes

And so it begins. Other security experts are drawing the same freakin' conclusion: http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/323051-experts-say-wikileaks-exaggerating-contents-of-cia-documents

This article is full of things that are not true and still debunks things that the analysis never really said and was only said erroneously by other outlets like the NYT. You really need to read the things you are posting with more care. They are not saying anything that you claim they say.

The only point this article makes is "Well Wikileaks analysis is wrong because the NYT reported on the analysis inaccurately".

It still refers to the point "The claim that the tools can hack smart TV is a lie because you cannot do that remotely". Remote hacking again was never mentioned in the analysis. Is remote hacking is the only one that matters?

These are solid arguments for you?

1 Like

My favorite part is they now have a meme warfare center.

For me, that takes the cake.

4 Likes

Seriously? It's the only point? FFS, it's pointless to even try to reason with some of you.