Vault 7 (wikileaks data dump)

An organization with 100% authenticity rate and never leaked a source for their protection. Yes totally motivated. Maybe you think they're partisan because we've been under Democrat control for 8 years.

Except they've been leaking this shit since Bush, all they can do is leak information they know to be true that is GIVEN to them. They don't actively search for this info.

so, most (if not all) of the assertions in that blog post are demonstrably false. examples:

The CIA didn't defeat Signal/WhattsApp encryption.

The wikileaks PR references bypassing of the encryption via mobile rootkits and control software, of which there are quite a few in the leak. They never state that the apps themselves have been compromised.

See:

These techniques permit the CIA to bypass the encryption of WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, Wiebo, Confide and Cloackman by hacking the "smart" phones that they run on and collecting audio and message traffic before encryption is applied.

The CIA isn't hoarding 0days.

There are quite a few PSP bypasses in the release. The CIA did not disclose these vulnerabilities. at best this is arguing semantics. At worst, a bold-faced lie.

The CIA didn't remotely hack a TV.

Not once does the Release imply that the code is deployed remotely

There's no overlap or turf war with the NSA

The release never states this. It does mention that the CIA has been building parallel infrastructure to the NSA, and has recently been expanding its reach and budget, which is veritably true. It then goes on to cite several instances of NSA/CIA COOPERATION

The CIA isn't more advanced than the NSA.
The CIA isn't spying on us.

Again, not once does the press release mention any spying on US citizens, nor does it intone that the CIA is more advanced than the NSA.

The CIA is not cutting edge.

I'm having to repeat myself ad-nausem here. The author of this blog post is pulling attribution from thin air

The rest of their assertions are either opinions or speaking with authority about things they have no expertise in, a la

The VEP process is nonsense.

There's no false flags.

or

This hurts the CIA a lot.

in which our "security expert" admits that more competent people have told him this assumption is false.

I'd recommend you read the source material before posting things like this. The author of this blog post either has very poor reading comprehension or has a specific message to push. He's batting .00 on the facts.

5 Likes

Before I get bombarded it's just a funny picture

9 Likes

Oh well, time to bring this one up again :

2 Likes

This blog post is debunking claims that were never really made by wikileaks but only from outlets reporting on this, obviously not understanding what the press release actually says (or exaggerating for clicks).

I don't think they're partisan. They seem to be against all western governance and in favor of whatever could hurt them. Not necessarily a bad thing, but also not necessarily a good thing either.

The guys at Wikileaks aren't retarded. Far from it. Their wording is very carefully crafted and it is highly suggestive in nature. It's not their first rodeo.

Ain't that the truth...Now I know where the CIA picked up the term "spooky."

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_14587596.html#efmABuACQ

"Ah yeah, OSB Projects y'all! You know we got the all the dankest trojans and collection tools for all your windows asset assist and QRC needs."

Apparently holding your government accountable is anti western government now :)

I for one am so glad our agencies are spending time and money on amazing comprehensive lists such as this one

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_17760284.html

Oh, I see, they're pushing imaginary propaganda to people who can barely read.

Either cite an actual semantic review where they parse the alleged coded language, or explain it yourself. I work in journalism. I know what coded language looks like. This press release has a little bit of ideological slant, but it's far, far from propaganda, or even misleading.

It might mislead drooling troglodytes, but it takes quite a bit of work to avoid doing that unintentionally.

Completely Idiot proofing tech related media of any kind is close to impossible.

3 Likes

This was wechat.

WeChat and WhatsApp both sync to a cloud. As we all know clouds are not secure. And yes whatsapp has been hacked. Probably not on the encryption level but this wikileak dump says the CIA has access inside.

These tools were prior to moxie marlinspike helping whatsapp implement the signal protocol.
Whatsapp is end to end encrypted now.
Whatsapp only syncs backups to a cloud if you allow it.

There's a really cool CTF in there with some high level concepts and walkthrough. I'll try to find the link

Edit: https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_16385438.html

3 Likes
  • So where do you work?
  • I work for the government...
  • Oh?
  • Yeah, I can't really talk about it, it's top secret...

4 Likes

http://consolidatedcrypto.com/cia-jokes-privacy-divorce-reality

Fuuuuuuu ....

k

3 Likes

sweet christ, this is going to be a gold mine

3 Likes

Zero Day, you say, Zero Year now I guess....