Vault 7 (wikileaks data dump)

fairly related video. Bit long but quite interesting.

This is the first "rationalist youtuber" video I've ever seen that wasn't just as partisan as your average Gawkerati outrage piece.

Yes, tabloids make money via the same processes as legitimate outlets. It's something that's been a subject of contention in the industry for over a century.

This conflict is far from new, it's just happening at a much larger scale and level of severity now, and has a new buzzword.

The biggest issue with the information he presents is the analysis at the very end. he lost me at "the mainstream media acting as a class."

Trust me, we're far less organized and far more petty and prone to competitive infighting than some sort of hegemonic conspiracy would require.

I had to read through several hundred lines of ancient perl today, buried deep in a web server. After digging into it I found a nugget of gold! After commenting a line out, yy'ing it and pasting it the line above - I reversed the substring fuction to read the last 4 chars rather than the first 4 chars, suddenly (after uncommenting my patch) it worked!

Of course this all took place over the course of 20 minutes, but most of my day is really command line driven work (which friggin rocks!), but WTF am I doing wrong? I'm doing that while these jags at the CIA spin up Ubuntu VMs to practice pen testing and CTF!?!

Seriously, how the heck do I get in? I'm not even kidding!!!

Be career military or have clearance from DARPA contracting (and apparently be fine with treating skiddie stuff like cutting edge espionage.)

That, and don't post stuff like this on forums.

Not sure why not. Just seek career advice.

They come to you, good sir.

Bit off topic story:

Back in the late 80's my father just graduated from school with a degree in history, top of his class, wrote a lot of papers about the USSR. He was called by the CIA just after he graduated to interview for a historian role. There was to be a series of 5 interviews and he passed 4 of them. They never called him back for the 5th. My dad showed me all the interview letters they sent him and what not a long time ago. Family joke is he works for the CIA but no one is allowed to know :P

I meant in the context of getting recruited by alphabet agencies, not in general

I just looked at the dump. They do a lot of the stuff I do. They build a lot of in house tools, same here, they have to write documentation for how their tools work - same here, looks like the dump was an in house kb, I have kb'd the shit out of my job.

Granted their tools automate or assist in hacking and mine do my job for me, but really there's some similarity.

Maybe I went too far calling them jags, it's really a term of endearment, but really I'm just jealous they get paid to pentest Ubuntu VMs.

1 Like

The thought of having to keep my mouth shut about someone leading a project to copy and find all the emotes you can make with special characters with taxpayer money is sickening.

Our government is a bloated shit show that is barely being held together and yet somehow still comes out alright.

It will probably never change but here's to hoping. Sad to say that at this point all these dumps and leaks do is confirm what intelligent people knew and gives more reason for denial by ignorant people.

Am I missing something? Is that a rule?

see:

Sure but can you elaborate? Why is that a no no?

I'd assume that it signals to them that you have trouble keeping mum, and a lack of general tact.

ah I see what you mean now. Yeah, that's the truth.

Yeah I can see how the 500 line file of emojis could piss someone off, but I can sort of relate with Slack. Sometimes on my team I'll use something an emoji to express my response but keep it light.

The CIA may not be able to use slack, so they may have had to make an in house version - aka that file.

It's hard to justify, but I can see why they may have done it.

Btw I abuse slack emojis (I think that's the right term) redixulously. :thumbsup

It's because they're all over forums and social media sites. 4chan has known for years intelligence agencies were all over it before it was heavily moderated. A majority of TOR exit nodes and chat rooms are setups.

Even local law enforcement is all over Facebook, a lot of those obviously fake girl accounts with half naked pictures and few friends are cops catching idiots online.

I know why they did it and I get it, its easily justifiable if you're already spying and lying about everything.

I'm not going to discredit domestic federal intelligence agencies, but - I'd prefer CIA over NSA - I'm a US citizen and respect our rights. However, (brace yourself - massive jingoism proceeding) I wouldn't lose sleep over non-domestic surveillance for our country.

I agree but that's obviously not what's happening. All the intelligence agencies are doing the same things, at this point they might as well all be under the same name because they obviously don't give a shit about boundaries.

i would think the point would be to recognize actual emojis as emojis and know when the seemingly random series of rarely used characters are not emojis but a code.

The CIA arguably (at least from the information we've seen) has no widespread data collection infrastructure, and there's no evidence for their consistent operation within our borders. (though I don't doubt they aren't above it on occasion)

They already cooperate with the NSA, there's no reason for have redundant infrastructure that expensive.