Vaping electronics. Build a top notch temp control mod

I would like to create my own vape mod. However, I like the control of a mod with both temperature control and wattage control, such as the Kbox mini that I am currently using.

I am a machinist by trade. So I would like to make the body out of metal, probably stainless or aluminum, or wood. I am leaning toward wood for the prototype, just for the simplicity in machining and the low cost of materials. I have access to a CNC mill at home, and I am in the process of converting my lathe over to CNC; maybe this will give me the kick in the ass I need to finish that project. As I have not yet designed anything, I cannot show you what I am thinking about. I do want it to be something that is simple. No extravagant shapes or profiles; I want something that looks "classy."

I have a little experience in tinkering with electronics, but not a lot. I have no experience in designing PCB circuits or any of that. This is where I will certainly need some assistance with this project. I imagine I can use an Arduino for the brains. I would also like to incorporate a charging circuit. I think this will work.

The temperature control and wattage mode will be a matter of figuring out if the Arduino can handle this task alone, or if I will need additional circuits and sensors as well. I am open to ideas, especially for the electronics.

The plan is to use an off the shelf tank. I want the mod to be compatible with most tanks. I can't remember off the top of my head what the thread size is; this is what I plan to machine into the mod.

The drip tip I will machine. That should be a fun and simple lathe project, once the CNC conversion is complete.

I welcome any ideas and comments. Let me know what you think! This is a long term project, so don't get impatient with results!

My understanding of today's Temperature and/or Wattage Control devices is that they are state of the art tech SOC microchips. So, basically it will be a matter of designing a case with a battery compartment and a firing switch.
One interesting method uses a 3D Printer to make various custom box designs, or even inserts such as inlaid texture panels such as pistol grips. I understand you are looking for a solid metal construction "classy" look.

A chip like this would be an interesting core to build around as it can also work on dry herbs:

1 Like

Awesome, this is exactly what I am looking for. I knew someone here would have the answer!

I will read the spec sheet carefully. It seems though, at a glance, this is an all inclusive circuit, save for the charging circuit.

Yes, I can't say if this is the best one because I recently read about a new SOC that had very precise control over the amperage. I was looking to see If could find it but without remembering who manufactures it, I couldn't get the search engine answers I hoped for.
If you like mini-mods, the multi-meter of them all is the SMOK AL 85 Alien Baby 85W TC.
I would recommend whatever mini-mainboard is in that wonder.

http://www.smoktech.com/kit/al85

1 Like

Quite impressive. I was looking at a Smok before I got my KBox. They certainly have nice displays and electronic features.

Now that I know pre-built circuitry exists, I will keep an eye out. I've also read that some suggest purchasing a mod with a broken fire button; they can be found on eBay for cheap. I'm a little unsure of this approach though. Buying new may be a more trustworth option.

Might be better to buy the mod and strip it,
The Alien Baby was on a sale for 44 USD.

1 Like

I think you may be right. By the time I but a stand alone circuit, charger, metal/wood, and various hardware, I'll be getting close to the 100 dollar mark.

https://www.elementvape.com/smok-al85-alien-baby-85w-tc-starter-kit

Know whats not cool? Advertising.