Valve Making Consoles?

Rumours are floating around about the game developers, Valve, is making a console. "SteamBox" as they call it.

The console is rumoured to contain an Intel Core i7 CPU, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GPU. Alienware X51 alike, you might think.

http://kotaku.com/5890183/rumor-maybe-valve-really-is-making-a-console?utm_campaign=socialflow_kotaku_facebook&utm_source=kotaku_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Looking from the specs of this thing, can it be anything else than a PC? Do you think Valve is making some kind of a Steam OS like XBox Live ?

Seems like a weird move for Valve at first glance. However, if the "console" purchases games through Steam, you can play the games with a mice and keyboard, and the games are legit PC titles where you can play against traditional PC players (aka I can hop into a game of CSS)...then OMFG this will fucking explode PC Gaming. Fuck you Razer with your shitty laptop that costs $3k and sucks donkey balls. Gabe is going to save the world!

It better come in at under $700 though or it will flop big time. I hope they can do it...seems like Valve has a lot of money and hopefully they can get an economies-of-scale thing going to lower the price of the units.

Judging from the specs of this thing it can't be cheap...

I would estimate it will cost ~$500.

These specs are not amazing, and valve doesn't need to produce all of the peripherals that go into a laptop, like monitor, speakers, ect.

$700+

im not sure i like this idea, will this effect pc gaming thru steam?>? hmm who knows what will happen

Here is a picture of it. Mini-ITX Z68 and mobile Nvidia GPU. No options for upgrades, exept for HDD and RAM I'm affraid :(

http://kotaku.com/5890275/is-this-a-photo-of-valves-rumored-console?utm_campaign=socialflow_kotaku_facebook&utm_source=kotaku_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

RuffeDK said:

Here is a picture of it. Mini-ITX Z68 and mobile Nvidia GPU. No options for upgrades, exept for HDD and RAM I'm affraid :(

http://kotaku.com/5890275/is-this-a-photo-of-valves-rumored-console?utm_campaign=socialflow_kotaku_facebook&utm_source=kotaku_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Why would you expect a console to have upgradeable anything? The point of this seems to be to make an affordable console with pc caliber parts in order to merge the console and pc gaming worlds. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft will have to step their games up if Valve does this right. Developers will actually have to start taking advantage of the advanced hardware too.

patrick said:

$700+

I don't think so, back wayyyy down.

$500 is a good pricing point for a console like this. It seems that you're getting a number like this when comparing it to a computer, this is not a fully fledged computer, and lacks a lot of the costs associated with one.

If Valve is indeed mass producing this hardware, then they are getting massive discounts from the manufacturers, and seeing as they're wholesale, they're probably only paying 70% of what you or I would pay for the same chipset. Also taking into consideration that the hardware is not expensive in the first place, you can pick up 8GB of RAM for $60, the display components for another $100, and the motherboard and other components for another $120.

Valve would be making a killing off of this. It's not all that expensive.

$500 seems like a fair price.

8gb for 60$? Try 30. Lol.

i have thinking cheapest I7 $300 cheap itx mb $100 ram $30 case $50 psu $40 HD $70 or SSD Video card $120 some sort of os. If they spend any less then this its going to be a pos.

Wholesale.....Don't take these prices off of Newegg.

Well right now if you put prices together for video card, motherboard, ram, and processor. You get around 500$. I would imagine like nate said prices will be cut so much from mass producing that 500$ is easily achievable. I also imagine that steam isnt going to make a lot of money off of the console itself. It will make money off of the games it will sell since so many people will have steam on there tv. I am hoping they dont make this just a gaming console though. They will dominate if they get into media consumption. They need Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, Vudu, and an amazing browser to take over the world. I would easily replace this with my boxee box if I can play video games and watch content on this.

Also think of the lan possibilities. You can have 4 people on one tv using split screen with keyboards.

patrick said:

i have thinking cheapest I7 $300 cheap itx mb $100 ram $30 case $50 psu $40 HD $70 or SSD Video card $120 some sort of os. If they spend any less then this its going to be a pos.

Valve obviously wouldn't be buying everything at full price. They have to make a profit. They get everything from companies for less than we would normally have to pay for it.

I hope Valve doesn't do like the rest of the consoles and strickly control content but leave it open.

I think that it will make it more appealing to more people and would push consoles in a new direction.