Valve is not your friend

I guess one issue is now we have 99% of our games on Steam
and if steam happens to go offline or out of business we are stuffed
with a a capital F

All of the games on GOG are DRM free, you can download and hoard your games if you want, the Galaxy client is optional.

Geoblocks hardware and software (games)

Even though you shouldn't have to, you could use a VPN like PrivateInternetAccess if your willing to go that route.

Various games are often USD$20 more (end up USD$80) which end up in our converted AU value as AUD$107-109 for a USD$60 game overseas
STILL in 2017 steam refuses to sell games in AUD instead of USD

I'm not sure what it shows on their store, but you can check. (and tell us the result)

So not only are lots of AAA multi plat games BROKEN on PC , missing proper PC features and using p2p match making , missing server browser and missing content sold in in DLC/season pass that should of been in the base game but we in AUSTRALIA get to pay 40-50 bucks more , YAY

I haven't seen any multiplayer servers available for GOG yet (that I'm aware of), so you'll either have to set up your own if the game allows, or search elsewhere. Otherwise,

From the GOG User Agreement

STILL in 2017 Steam REFUSES to offer a PHONE or EMAIL support or LIVE HTTP web chat

I don't represent GOG in any way, I just really like their service.

1 Like

I'm totally happy with some of the contributions that Valve has been making to Linux over the last year or so. They have been working with the AMD teams to produce better drivers, they have also been working with the MESA team as well. Their Linux client brought a lot of new software (not just games) to the Linux desktop. The Steam linux client is pretty interesting in itself as Valve seems to be pushing the Steam Runtime, which removes a lot of need for specific dependencies. This is still not perfect, but the Steam platform is making it easier to game on different distros.

I do realize that Valve probably looks at SteamOS as a long term project, and I think the ultimate goal is to make themselves independent from Microsoft's Windows.

I really don't have much bad to say here.

But as far as their company politics go, I am not sure about employee treatment or some of the complaints about the steam workshop paying back smaller returns? I really don;t follow this side of the company much. So I can't comment.

for anecdotal information,

i have a friend that got his acc locked from online/permabanned on steam, because back in the day them tf2 hat trading shit, some jackass lied and said he jacked his shit when he didnt, and some sites with reputation boards etc many people vouching for him very unlikely that he did it, jacked him out of fuckload of money basically, in items and in you know dozens/hundreds of games for a basically worthless acc now

and its not like say.. how google/youtube has some shitty areas of customer service, ex: i had a youtube, before the gmail merge, the youtube got merged into the gmail account but i already had the gmail account, because i didnt login for a period of time that was too long apparently, the name had to be changed, and i cant have the name i already had, because i already have it. ive tried filing tickets, ive gone through pages of support bs and never her anything back from them at all, they just are incompetent as all hell and have no idea what the hell is even happening with their systems at some times/areas. in steams case its they dont give a fuck, you get banned, they tell you to fuck right off, ofcourse in their terms of service implies you can be banned just from swearing or whatever in online matches etc maybe having appeals systems/people you can talk to would be a good idea

atleast they didnt at the time, but this was back when bitcoins were 15~25$ lol(he was also mining and shit at the time) with the badass 5870.

would say steam very much does some not so good selling data etc, and are woefully head first into drm and you not owning anything, and very much the same bs as on origin and whatever else, where you have to let them publish it, give them a cut etc. but for the most part they havent openly done too much bad stuff/had too much flack in public, but then they tried the whole workshop thing.. and yea sorta shows they are actively thinking about ways to exploit the users for more cash