Value SSD

Two drives:

840 Evo

840 Pro

Evo uses TLC flash, which is cheaper to produce.  it's also less durable than the MLC flash that the 840 Evo uses.

The PNY XLR8 have been cheap for awhile. Around 500 Read 475 Write 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=pny+xlr8&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I've got an intel 520 120gb and it rocks.

So m500 or the xlr8? At the 120gb end the crucial looks better but up towards the 480gb the xlr8 looks like a steal when its on sale .... So pros and cons of each?

And can someone explain how ssds reads/writes degrade over time?

unless you have something to back this up don't bother posting this comment it doesn't help OP at all.

As long your using trim it should not degrade. Seems like 400 to 500 hundred terabytes is a given before you start seeing some real where and tear. Far more than a hard drive. 

http://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-on-the-way-to-a-petabyte

And thoughts on the xlr8? Seriously considering picking it up when it goes on sale again....

Its a good sSD

Just get a MX100, it's probably the best value you will get for around that price range. Also, your 6300 isn't running at 14c, thats physically impossible, the lowest I have ever seen an FX CPU run at idle is about 25 or 30 c

If you want reliability with performance, I think the samsung evo is a great bet. They have lots of very good customer reviews and good performance on many reviews. The kingston v300 is not known as the fastest drive, but again, fantastic customer reviews and reliability. The hyper 3k by kingston is a great performer for random reads and writes and has a good track record for reliability as well, but its more expensive than the v300 if you are looking for a good gb/dollar ratio. The Adata SSD's have good reviews for reliability also, but they arent the fastest. the new 920 series from adata is supposed to perform well, but its still pretty new for long term reliability to be declared.

hopes this helps...

http://imgur.com/NXUSbHl ... IT's summer in Texas, the central A/C vent in my study is partially closed, I don't have a central fan, FX-6300 is OC'd to 4.2GHZ on air .... idle at 16C

Yeah I've heard lots about the EVO and hyperx 3k but the price/GB at this time isn't justifiable for me ... now that i'm looking into ADATA it looks pretty good ... and everyone on this forum keeps saying that the v300 was once good but with the new flash its no better than a 10,000rpm HDD

I know its not accurate. Its just Speccy summary copy+paste which had temps in the report. Couldn't be bothered editing them out.

The only problem with MX100 is the write speed is upto 150Mbps on the 128gb version. The same capacity SX900 for the same price is upto 520Mbps. Now in a real world situation, I have no idea how this practically affects me. Does that mean I will wait an extra 1-2 secs if I am copying 1GB to the drive. If so it doesn't matter to me and I would just opt for the SX900 as it is the same price. 

I don't know what else to look out for except for read and write speeds. Do controllers matter? What I have got out of this thread is.. don't choose asynchronous flash.

So I bit the bullet and bought the Plextor m5s off of Newegg today (on sale for 49.99 - 128GB) and while I was doing research I came to realize that a lot of people on various different forums were saying the same thing in that an upgrade to Amy reliable/reputable ssd is going to be immiedatly noticeable to a former HDD user and it will speed up your daily tasks to the point where 480mbps read vs 520 isn't going to be noticeable to the avg user same can be said about the random 4k reads/writes .... That's not to say there is no difference between various speced drives its just that they are so minute in real world performance that most end users will not know the difference. (Sorry of I'm oversimplifying stuff I just wanted to post that because I found it useful ... Feel free to correct me of you think I'm wrong as I haven't even used an ssd yet) ....

And with that id like to ask of anyone has any expirence with the plexyor m5s (just let me know when you bought it, how's the speed now, has it failed yet?) And other than turning off defrag and moving the pagefile is their anything else I need to do for my ssd? (I'm running windows 8.1 .... Do I have to manually turn on trim and garbage collection? Or are these on by default?)

Yeah, 480-530mb/s really isn't apparent in real world settings.  It is indeed much faster than a normal hard drive, which has speeds(I think) of around 20-50mb/s.

On my computer, I did a clean install of windows on my SSD, and just copied whatever i needed to my hard drive and erased the rest.

And TRIM? do I have to manually enable that somewhere?

Thanks for the update. I saw that deal too but I didn't bite. Let us know how it goes!

what OS are you running? 7 or 8?

I think it is automatically enabled in 8. you but need to make sure you have the right mode in your bios. most newer motherboards will do this automatically

http://lifehacker.com/5640971/check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPjFZv_eII - win 8