Using XMP profile on Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H

Using the XMP profile for my 4790k I ran a 1 touch overclock from the xmp profile. I selected the highest overclock for that chip which was 4.8ghz. I reset my computer and go back into the bios to check the temperatures and voltages. The temperature read at 50c. Okay that would make sense for a 4.8ghz overclock sorta. Then I check the cpu voltage and holy shit. It was running at 1.7 volts!. I about fucking shit myself. So I quickly reset back to defaults as fast as possible and reset my computer. In short my expierience with using xmp profile was just like using the gigabyte easy tune or overclocking software.Just horrible. Yes it did overclock. But it is just not worth burning up the chip for an xmp overclock. I recommend this video if you are looking to overclock your cpu to the highest overclock you can possible get.

I see a bit of confusion in this post. When I applied on my Maximus VII Hero (same chip) the XMP profile for my 1866 RAM it just bumped the core voltage to 1.265V and didn’t overclock my CPU (well it ran it @4.4GHz anyway so I guess that’s some kind of overclock). I just lowered the voltage with a negative offset leaving it on auto and I was done. Why are you saying that apply the XMP profile overclocked your CPU?

You’re lucky those 1.7V didn’t burn your CPU right away! Also it’s just crazy that Gigabyte allows so much voltage to go through a CPU with a simple one click profile. Not even for RAM sticks that voltage is safe.

I think I should have try and turn off auto voltage, turbo boost and auto overclock. And enable overclock mode in the voltage settings before the xmp. But what person is gonna do that if they do not know how to overclock when they use xmp. I don’t even know if doing those things will help keep the chip at a normal voltage when using the xmp profile for 4.8ghz. I do not know why the motherboard manufactures thought that one touch overclock was a good idea without making sure it can take your cpu to the most stable voltage at a given overclock.