Using VPSes purely for IPs?

I’m teaching high schoolers a cybersecurity class and we’re far enough along that I’m giving them VMs with backdoors and they have to secure them again (just simple Metasploit reverse shell stuff right now). I have a pretty good Proxmox cluster at home, but part of the exercise is for them to figure out the IP of the attacking server which means the IP has to change between exercises (meaning I can’t just use my public IP).

Anyone know a good way that I can use the cheapest level of Digital Ocean or Linode VPS (512mb) with OpenVPN or something to basically give a VM I’m running at home an extra IP?

1 Like

why not attack from the local network?

would be much than just somekind of cheap VPS. You could just change the ip on the machine to something random.

If you still want to do the whole vps thing then you could just setup a openvpn session to the vps but make sure you read the policy of the vps provider. might be restrictions of what you can and can not do

Should get you what you’re looking for. I use DO myself and its fairly reliable but theres definitely cheaper options out there. Sounds to me like you’ve got the logistics worked out with using openvpn.