Using Sun CSM200 with Debian 8 for ZFS

I have an old server I run Debian 8 on, and I plan to set up some kind of NAS solution with ZFS.

I have three 8TB and six 3TB 3.5" SATA drives, also an SSD I plan to use for L2ARC.

The SSD fits nicely in the case I already have, but I can't fit the HDD's. However, I found a good deal on a used Sun StorageTek CSM200. This unit comfortably fits all my drives, and leaves space for future expansion.

But, I'm a bit green when it comes to this:

Is all I need to connect the array to my server a generic fiber channel card and some cable, or do i need some specific Sun hardware?

Do I need some special software to access the drives? If so, is this available for Debian 8? Is there any major flaws in my thinking here, or am I on the right track?

I have seen some software called Common Array Manager, from Oracle. But the documentation only lists RedHat and SuSE as supported Linux distros. Is there possibly a Debian equivalent to this?

1 Like

If you're going to use Debian, probably best to use Debian 9; RC 4 just released today and stable release planned for 17th of June.

If the machine has regular PCI/PCIE, I doubt you'll need special Sun hardware using Linux. Never used Sun stuff so don't quote me on that.

1 Like