Using HP mouse/keyboard dongle with Logitech Mouse

Hi everyone,

So I’ve got this old Logitech V220 mouse that I got for $2.00 at the flea market and I’ve got this dongle for an HP mouse and keyboard that I already had. I am trying to see if I can make the HP Dongle pair with the Logitech mouse and everything I’ve read tells me that it’s just not possible. Is there a way that I could change the firmware or change the frequency of the hp dongle to pick up what the mouse is transmitting? Aren’t all these rf mice/keyboard/dongle combinations 2.4Ghz? Yes, I know that the time/effort isn’t worth it, but hey, I hate to throw away a perfectly good mouse away.

Update: Cracked open the receiver and the chipset says “NRF LV1PA 1836CP”.

I’ve done a little more research and it looks like the Logitech unified dongle has the same chip more or less, or at least the same manufacturer. What I think would be a good idea is to flash the unifying logitech receiver firmware to this dongle. Then, I could download the Logitech Unifier Software and let it pair this “Logitech Unifying Receiver” with the mouse. The problem is I wouldn’t know where to start on flashing this receiver’s firmware with the logitech unifying receiver.

There’s a lot of stuff on GitHub about this sort of thing, but I don’t know much about code. I know how to do some commands in Terminal on Mac and Command Prompt on PC, but maybe this is a start? Something called RogenDawes on Github seems to do this sort of thing.

If you don’t mind writing new firmware for the dongle and the mouse then I’m sure you could. Can’t find it this morning, but there has been at least one project to flash custom firmware to a Logitech unifying receiver to re-use it for an arbitrary keyboard.

From my understanding, there’s nothing to write on the mouse; it’s an emitter and has no way of connecting to anything. There’s no port, nada. It pairs with that dongle and that dongle only, from what I’ve read. I just can’t believe that if you lose the dongle for this mouse there is no way to make a dongle pick up what it is transmitting!

AFAIK they do it that way for security compliance in government or otherwise secret squirrel environments. Not all wireless logitech devices work that way, though.

In this imaginary scenario, you’re not likely to get an off-brand receiver to work without changes to the mouse as well. All of this is way more than $10 of difficult, which is what a replacement logitech receiver costs.

There likely is an internal header or test-points to program the thing, which, depending on the micro-controler or memory, could also be a one-way trip.

One-way trip?

One-way trip means that the flash chips inside maybe arent erasable. Write Once Ready Many Kind of thing. Why pay for a EEPROM that is reusable, if you will never use it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.