Using HDMI to Type-C converter to plug VR headset - is that do'able?

Hello All,

Hope we’re doing well despite the weirdness of these times? Really enjoyed the last podcast/news thingy from L1, did make me laugh at times, it’s a great combination of personalities :smile:

Sooooo, I don’t have the patience to wait for a rare RTX 3080 to be available via the time consuming means (following thread here), so I’m thinking of just getting an RTX 4000 to tide me over.

I have 3 monitors that I would plug into DisplayPort…ummm, ports, that would leave the Type-C free. I was hoping that when I use my VR headset, I could buy a HDMI to Type-C converter, then plug that into the spare Type-C. Would that work without too much loss in headset quality?

At the moment I have a P2000, which is great for my main work (2D drawing software that does like Quadros - personal experience), but it struggles with GPU intensive apps, such as rendering or VR. I have a barely used GTX 1070 that I could sell, once I find the box, so that would help with the cost.

About the RTX 4000 purchase idea:
I am completely aware that the 3080 would blow the 4000 away, but I like the idea of a card I can easily get my hands on now and for the next few months, it’s also certified for my main software. The 3000 series situation is really silly, for whatever reason, and as we all know, life goes on! If I was a gamer, I would just wait because, it’s only gaming (that’s not to say gaming isn’t important, it just isn’t important to me). The 4000 would do things roughly twice as fast as the P2000, and that’s a potential increase in income. Money is nice :smile:

Any thoughts welcome :slight_smile:

I believe you need to be very careful about the direction of your converter. The way that you describe it as an HDMI to Type-C converter, it will not work.

For example, I have a DisplayPort to HDMI converter. It will NOT convert HDMI to DisplayPort.

You will want to double-check that.

1 Like

Thank you @zlynx, very much appreciate the headsup, I do see what you mean. With my current card I got an HDMI to DisplayPort adaptor and that worked fine, so I just need to make sure I get the converter, converting the right way. Thank you very much. :+1:

From my understanding, Ampere RTX (3090) only blows the Turing Quadros in applications that require a lot of vram. Otherwise, proper workstation driver optimizations and features still make it a viable option because 3090s don’t have proper workstation level features and as such get outperform by even the last gen RTX Titan. If it fits your particular needs go for it.

1 Like

Thank you for that, thanks for taking the time. I’m in that situation where I’m the end user and don’t necessarily know the tech side of it, I just know my main apps work smoother with Quadros than non-quadros. That’s not to say I didn’t initially use a GTX560Ti when I began my self-employed “journey”, many moons ago. :slight_smile: The 1070 was actually a bit of a disappointment in my most used app and so promptly bought the P2000.

Hello all, just wanted to say I’ve got an update on this, in summary I just paid for the RTX 4000 - amusing summary of buying experience is here:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/re-uk-rtx-3080-when-will-stocks-be-plentiful-do-you-think/165778/5

Thanks again all :+1:

I did just have a thought (this should have come to me before), I already have a working HDMI to DisplayPort converter that does work well. So perhaps I should use that to drive the VR headset (via DisplayPort), then get another cable from one of my monitors that’ll be DisplayPort (on monitor) to Type-C (on GPU)?

Digging holes in the ground is way easier than this! Cheers again all! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.