Return to Level1Techs.com

Using an Epyc Naples CPU in a Rome motherboard

I am considering buying a new motherboard for a home server which I can upgrade over time, and the ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T looks pretty future-proof. I want to put a second-hand 7251 in it to start with.

The main selling point of the board is its PCIE 4.0 slots, but the 7251 only supports PCIE 3.0. The manual claims I can use this CPU, so what happens to the slots? Do they just gracefully run at PCIE 3.0 speeds? Similarly, what is likely to happen with the M.2 slots which share the PCIE lanes with the second slot?

1 Like

Yeah the lanes just revert to pcie3 until you change out the cpu.

You should even be able to put pcie4 devices in the slots, they’ll just run at pcie3 speeds.

1 Like

Are you sure about that? We can’t use first and second gen Threadripper in trx40 boards. I thought they switched up the chipset on the server side as well.

He mentioned that the cpu was listed as compatible in the manual.

1 Like

Ah, missed that. Thanks!

No worries, it’s definitely a good thing to be wary of.

1 Like

too soon man, too soon :slight_smile:

I’m still salty about getting bent over by AMD on that one. If Epyc can do it, that means SP3 can do it, so the only reason TR4 can’t is??? (not the sockets fault at least)

It’s a fair question. I’m a bit burnt about it too.

AFAICT, there is no “chipset” for Epyc. It is an SoC.

IMHO, there is no “chipset” in the old sense, for Ryzen or TR, either, as they are SoCs, too.

The “chipset” is more about multiplexing 4 (or in TR now 8) PCIe lanes to slower devices like SATA, GbE and USB.

The real business seems to be in the BIOS.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess it’s taking me quite a bit of time to get out of that mindset.