Using a windows 7 oem disc to reinstall

The answer to this is probably no but just thought id ask anyway...lets say i needed to re install windows 7 home on a dell laptop but don't have any re install discs, could i install the oem copy of windows 7 that i used to build my computer on the dell and use the license key that came with the dell to activate it?

You should be able to. I've re-installed OEM versions many times.

so you've taken an oem copy and installed it on a dell(or any other oem machine) with the license key that came with the dell or other oem machine to activate and it work?

Not exactly. I built my own computer and bought an OEM version of the OS because it was cheaper than the retail version. I've re-installed it on my custom computer before, usually after I've done some upgrades.

It will activate provided that it's the same version of Windows (eg. Dell came with Win7 Home Premium and the OEM disc is Win7 Home Premium). I don't know if it will activate if the 2 versions of Windows are different though.

I dont see why it wouldnt work, but if it dosnt, hell you already payed for windows, just torrent the version u need.

is it a dell disc, If it is it should work on any dell computer for unlimited uses, well at least it does for my dell and Hp XP disc,

is it a dell disc, If it is it should work on any dell computer for unlimited uses, well at least it does for my dell and Hp XP disc