Using 1x 2TB NVME or 2x 1TB NVME, that's the question

To my knowledge Samsung transitioned away from the 2-bit MLC for the 980 Pro which made it more affordable compared to the 970 Pro so it’s more comparable with the 970 Evo in those regards.

You work at Juice?

[quote=“JerryR, post:15, topic:164065”]I either receive external hard drives or the client sends me the data via FTP/WeTransfer/etc & transfer them to the SSDs.
I would export the finished product onto the same drives and then I send them via FTP/WeTransfer to the client.
[/quote]

4/8K? Client as in colorist in another post or direct to web stuffs?

256GB RAM, you’re not dividing per scene on each job? What kind of project would take so many memory?

Since you dont seem to have much restriction on budget, ideally get one 1TB solely for render cache, one 1-2TB for storing current project materials, project files + outputs, then another one for OS.

1 Like

Nope, but good guess :smiley:

So far I mostly delivered in 4K, but who knows when it will go up to 8K.

It’s mostly to another post house.

Nuke is quite memory hungry while rendering.
I would just let it render in the background while working in a new window on another shot.

Yeah that was kinda my plan to have the OS separated from the render cache and the project materials.

1 Like

If you do the right steps to ensure the host and the guest have virtually no hardware sharing between them.

Passthrough NVME, USB Controller, network card, use sound device on Graphics card.

The KVM needs its own hardware to prevent sharing with host and I/O lag.

I meant your materials

I’d venture a guess it’s more about I/O & your workflow, if it’s me I’d gone with 128GB & upgrade in 1-2 years, but it’s more about personal choice in this case

Thats a nice storage set up and what i have now. Main OS Drive, Raid0 drives for VMs & Steam, and spinning rust for back ups.

Is it just me or is there a bit of a storage race as well. i feel like 4tb & 6tb spinners and NVMes are going to get cheep in 2021.

I will browse the forum and the web to inform myself about KVMs and how to set it up properly.
Do you maybe have any good tips/starting points besides this forum?

That’s a good idea. I still have them lying around somewhere gathering dust. :smiley:
This might give them some purpose.

I still have a 60gb Vertex 2 runnng as the OS drive on ma server

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.