Return to Level1Techs.com

Useful Tech Certs?

linux
security
itjobs

Hi guys,

Was considering picking up a few tech certs in my free time, one of them being Linux+. I know that everyone loves to shit all over Comptia, but I've also heard that employers really people who understand Linux, and I wouldn't have to study a whole lot to get it. Was also working on my CCNA at one point, but got side tracked on that.

My question for you guys is what certifications should I look at regarding the fields of system administration and security analysis? I know the CCNA is a good one to have, but is the Linux+ cert worth much? I have another 2 years until I finish my CS degree so I have plenty of time to pick up certifications.

Really depends where you want to work.

I'm currently half way into LPIC1 and I hope it's worth something. At least I'm learning a lot about GNU/Linux

I need to get my LPIC1. I am so lazy. Ugh.

Network+ and Security+ can be useful; and other than that it depends.
If you want to do security work there's a TON of certs that are quite useful like CISSP and will get you better off .. For strictly IT things there are less.

CISSP is only useful if you're actively working in the industry already, curiously enough. I have my CISSA but since I haven't had the years of experience to get the "P" I"m just sitting on the cert for now. On top of that I have to have someone who's already a CISSP vouch for me as a reference and I wouldn't have made that connect until I got my current job.

OP it really depends on where you live, what industry you plan to work in, what you want to do, and what your goals are.

I'm also interested in what has to be said. I've been told many times that A+ is essential, is this true if I'm planning to go into SysAdmin-type fields.

A+ is useful to get into a help desk position. After 1 year of that job the A+ is pretty much worthless as your experience outweighs the cert. That's my take at least.

Yeah, I've heard that A+ is really only good for grunt level work. I guess get it if you're looking for an entry level job?

Yeah. Particularly if you don't have a degree it would be absolutely required.

This exact question pops up like every month here, please use search at the top OP

Also, certs don't mean anything unless you have experience. The only people that care about certs are people who search for resumes on Indeed. If you only know cert topics, it may be apparent in an interview.

You absolutely have validity to your statement but certs are a demonstration of capacity more than a demonstration of skill, and some are absolutely crucial for landing a job since they are experience based. Examples of the former being Net+, Sec+, CCNA, and some of the later being vendor specific engineering certs (say firewall vendors, MSSQL, exchange), Active Directory mastery certs, some VMWare certs, etc.

Okay, I've been at my current helpdesk job since Dec '15. I don't have an A+, I bought two courses on Udemy when they were $10 each to study. I haven't learned anything, but have watched through, just incase.

So if I understand correctly an A+ cert would almost be pointless for me?

I can't speak it as law, this is just my opinion, but I'd say yes. If you know IP, subnetting (on a really high level), managing printers and computers, you'd be ahead of an A+.

Ah yes. I did all that before starting this job. (Part of the reason I got it.) Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread @Chuckn2x.

A+ is just useful to have, not just for the cert but for what it teaches you. As you will learn the fundamentals. To use it as a crux for getting a job, not so much.

Yeah, didn't see anything about Linux+ though. Also didn't search very much though.

Also, remember Linux cert is composed of BOTH LPIC1 and LPIC2

For system admins in my area the job posting mostly state that require an MCSA in Windows Server.
I'm preparing for it. I'm mostly worried about the Networking aspect of it as I'm not strong with the topic...

Windows admin: MCSA + CCNA
Linux admin: RHCSA + CCNA

Or just do this: