Use Vega 56 for games and 1050 Ti for recording?

So I’m trying to capture some gameplay footage for personal use and trying to use Radeon Relive…and it’s garbage. After a few minutes of playing & recording, my framerate can tank down to nearly single digits. As soon as I stop recording, my FPS zoom right back up to where they should be.

However, I have a GTX 1050 Ti gathering dust. Is there any way I could use the Vega as my primary GPU, and use the 1050 Ti for Shadowplay and/or NVENC? Kind of like you can do with Physx. Would OBS work for this purpose?

Odd. Sounds like the drive you try to write to can not keep up.
These settings on an R9 Fury do not give me any problems, recording to dedicated HDD.

2 Likes

I’m not having any issues too with my R9 285. I’m so surprised that I’m only getting 2-3fps hit on the gameplay. Same settings as MazeFrame but using 30mbit video bitrate (1080p).

1 Like

You’re right, I/O might be the problem. I’m booting off of a 2x1TB 7200RPM raid 0 array (hardware) and trying to record to the same array. I’ll try recording to another drive and see how it goes.

In case it makes a difference, here are my system specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 (at 3.0 - 3.2 Ghz at the moment)
32GB DDR4-2400 (can OC to 2933, stock at the moment)
Dell SAS 6/iR Raid controller
2x1TB WD Blue 7200RPM drives
Vega 56 (w/ V64 BIOS)
Windows 10 (dual boot to Fedora 28 on 1TB SSD)

EDIT: Also playing at 1080p, reducing size to 720p and compressing to 12Mb/s.

1 Like

Pfff, you don’t need anything else but OBS… That CPU can record without affecting gameplay at all … So many threads …

1 Like

So there were two problems. One, I was in downtown Boston. Two, I had a graphics mod called “ReGrowth” which adds a bunch of vegetation. Removing the mod more than doubled my framerate, and I added another mod to remove some of the clutter in Boston. This got my fps up to something reasonable.

I also installed OBS, which can apparently compress much more efficiently (the default recording bandwidth is 2.5MB/s. And I made a pleasant discovery; OBS on Windows now supports AMD hardware encoding. I’ll have to check out the Linux port and see if it has the same feature.

1 Like

I literally just made a video on this:

Without HEDT, you’re still good for 1080p, just not any higher. And dedicating a record drive is pretty much the best way to go.

1 Like

Oh that will help so much…