Use SAS HDD for Backup

Hi

Some years ago I bought a pile of old (but not heavily used) SAS 3.5" drives. The seller used them in a storage server for off-site backups. Now I like to use them without a server. My plan is to fill them up manually with my Synology NAS and then drive them to a relative’s house and store them there. Do that every year and you get some cheap off-site backup. no Power consumption. No risk of being hacked as they are not connected to a network.

My problem is that no device I have has a SAS port. except for an old HP server that only supports 2.5" drives, (I rather not use this server as it makes a ton of noise and uses a lot of power)

Is there a way to connect SAS to USB or SATA? I got a SATA dock, is there something similar for SAS?

What sort of ports does your Synology have on it? If it has SAS ports already, then you need a single drive enclosure. Typically they’re for SAS tape drives, but no reason you couldn’t put one hdd in there.

I got the Synology DS918+
Sadly I don’t think there is a SAS port somewhere
I got the DS214play too but only eSata there if I’m correct

SAS is an enterprise level interface, and there’s not much USB being used in enterprise data centers.

If you have open bays on your NAS, and it supports SAS drives, you might be able to do something there. Otherwise, you will need to put a SAS host bus adapter (HBA) into your computer, and connect the drives to it.

See this recent post for good recommends on an HBA and required cabling

I have been looking into this for about a year, there used to be usb sas enclosures that were expensive but noone makes them anymore, synology has a sa3600 nas thats crazy expensive.

for the rest you need to use a pc/server like @gordonthree says

Probably the cheapest is to get an old 6Gbit/s SAS controller. All the modern SAS HBAs still cost probably more than the drives are worth.

Yeah Enterprise stuff + USB doesn’t match. I’d buy a thunderbolt SAS HBA + enclosure, but these things just won’t sell.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.