Use for my flight joystick

Hey.
Few years ago I got Elite Dangerous on sale. With it I got a very nice flight stick - Saitek Cyborg V1. An amazing joystick. The game I found mind-numbingly boring. The joystick is cool though. Too bad I don’t have anything to play…
I tried some time ago to play Freelancer with it. Freelancer said “what the hell is that? I want my mouse and keyboard input man” and didn’t recognize it at all…

So my question is basically recommend me good games, that I may play with my flight stick. Doesn’t matter arcade or realistic, as long as it is good.

X-plane, Flight Simulator X … or that one space game that’s never going to be finished.

1 Like

Anything more specific?
Or they are all replaceable titles…

They recently added flight stick support to Everspace

1 Like

Overload has joystick, linux support and most importantly
A Free Demo!

This is a game I am looking at, I love the site but sometimes he is too nice and always looks for something nice to say, this comment caught my eye:
"I can’t recommend this game enough. The developers are super responsive and the game is great, even if you don’t have a flight stick. But with a flight stick it’s the best."

HawkX2 came free with my joystick but the game sucked
Mechwarrior 4 was awesome with a joystick but that was years ago, x-wing and tie fighter were awesome in the 486 days. Ancient history.
Small thread on steam
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/12/864973032801366663/
One genre is 2D arcade games, they are not for everyone but many times they are free and fun.
Another thread somewhere mentioned jets in BF2, Freespace 2 and planes in BF1942

1 Like

Don’t think it will play on Linux but i have always had a special place in my heart for Aces High. Great little MMO combat flight sim.

http://www.flyaceshigh.com/

1 Like

Um… Well… Um…
Windows 7 user here…

I’m not that rich…

1 Like

It looks gooooOOOH MY GOD…
My poor 270X may not be able to deal with this…

1 Like

You’ll live, if you can call that living

1 Like

Everspace is good fun - although you die a lot at first. DCS World is worth downloading, it comes with 2 free aircraft a P-51 Mustang that has no weapons and an SU-25. Trying to master the P-51 and getting it airborne is great fun, if you like it, it won’t be long beforer you buy addtional aircraft and mission packs.

There are lots of older flight and space sims on gog.com that can use joysticks: il-2 1946, Falcon, freespace, X-wing vs Tie Fighter, Wing Commander etc. Some of those are classics and worth playing (in my opinion).

Commander BGL Out…

1 Like

Seconded on dcs world. If you like flight Sims it’s pretty good. Not sure about it’s Linux compatibility though. It’s also a pretty steep learning curve. The default stuff leaves more to be desired too but if you can get flaming cliffs on sale it will give you a lot for a little.

There’s also MechWarrior but I feel like you’d be gimping yourself not using a mouse.

1 Like

Surprised ive not seen anyone reccomend flightgear

http://www.flightgear.org/

2 Likes

The flying in ARMA 3 is very fun IMO, even though you’ll hear elitist talk about how “bad” the flight model is. Get some mods for the aircraft carrier and extra aircraft and pick from the tons of missions available on the Steam workshop and you’re good to go.

Other than that, any flying game that has gamepad support, you can use a controller mapping utility to make your joystick emulate an xbox controller so you can use the joystick for flying around.

1 Like

Obviously referring to Star Citizen lol, it only takes $30 to get into the game and when the alpha 3.0 update finally rolls out there will be enough things to do to justify the cost.

Edit: Also, cant believe I forgot War Thunder. Its free to play but has a pretty high skill ceiling.

1 Like

Better than Arma 3 would be “take on helicopters”, it uses the Arma Engine (might be the Arma 2 engine, I don’t remember exactly) but it has an overhauled flight model. Still forces you into an infantry mission mid-game for some reason. It even has a campaign in it. The maps looked nice as well.
There is a free demo on steam, you might as well give it a try.

I’ve seen X-Plane modded with a Mars environment. Complete with low air density, less gravity, the works. Took like Mach 2 indicated airspeed to take off.

I have a Logitech Flighstick (Aluminium parts and wireless) that I bought for 25-ish Euro on sale (must have been a wrong price) and that usually just collects dust.

1 Like