Usb ports randomly working

the usb ports on my main have always had issues. SOME ports work with the keyboard and mouse while some don't. very few work with usb pen drives. some will detect an unrecognized device and some will say nothing. when a usb drive is in , if i move a large file to it , it will calculate the space required for a few minutes with no progress then simply show that the file has moved successfully.

you would think , well it's just your pc. but all three of my machines have this issue , some ports work , others don't , all the machine have the large file transfer issue , i'm so sick of it.

and just today , all of the usb 2.0 ports stopped working on my main , some wouldn't even send any electricity out of them. the only ports that stayed working are the ones on the usb 3.0 pci-e card. If i plug a usb mouse directly into the board , it'll say usb device not reconised

Honestly, could be a lot of things:
-PSU Issue (5V/3.3V rail, most likely)
-Motherboard Issue (broken traces/linkages)
-Driver issue (USB Controller/Chipset)
-All 3 of the above at the same time

Recently had a motherboard which had the USB connectivity break, however, PS2 still worked somewhat. Couldn't get into the bios with a USB keyboard, but could with a PS2 keyboard, so it was obviously a USB issue on the motherboard.

Another issue that I've worked on in the past is a computer having the wrong Chipset driver installed, and not installing the right one. USB WIFI adapters wouldn't work, but it slowly got worse, where keyboards and mouses would cut out often.

PSU I've never personally seen cause this issue, but it seems possible

Same hardware (ex. All Lenovo T420's), or all different? Tried different O.S' (ex. booting to a USB or installing onto a dedicated disk)?

That exact thing happens on one of my motherboards. No matter the device plugged in via USB, it will give that error in Windows, however, PS2 devices work somewhat fine. I suggest finding yourself a PS2 mouse/Keyboard and trying to see if it works somewhat. For me, PS2 worked somewhat on the motherboard with an issue, and helped me realize that it wasn't software or PSU, it was the motherboard itself.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a motherboard issue.

ok I figured it out.

I went into device manager and uninstalled all of the usb controllers then reinstalled them and now it's working fine. I'm not sure what caused it to degrade so much or why just reinstalling them fixes it.

2 Likes