USB External Hard Drives with RAID

I need to upgrade my backup solution from a single external USB drive to something with a little more redundancy. My options for adding storage are limited and the path of least resistance is going to be continuing to use a USB drive for backing up files. I found 2 products that I think will work, Western Digital My Book Duo or OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual.

The WD is an all in one, but it comes configured as a RAID-0 and I am not clear on how to make it a RAID-1 or how reliable it will be.

The OWC looks like it has more potential. I can configure it as RAID-1 out of the box and I can use my own drives, I was considering using two 6 TB Seagate Iron Wolf Pro Drives.

Has anyone here implemented a similar solution? Was it reliable?

Is there a better way or better product to use?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I would probably get get a 2nd drive attached it to a raspberry pi and have it sync to it (varies based upon what filesystem / os used)

1 Like

Interesting.

I’ve never personally owned a my book duo but their specs do say raid1.

I do like the “pair of drives on a pi” approach better, although it’s more costly, and I’d prefer using an SBC with hardware AES support to encrypt the backups rather than aes-adiantum on a pi.

This is because of control - I don’t know how WD duo raid 1 is implemented, how well does it handle write holes.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.