URGENT Need help, friends PC in constant boot loop after overclocking RAM!

My friend messaged me about his PC boot looping and he says it happened after He overclocked his ram from 1600 to 2100 mhz. I’ve built many pcs but I’ve never run into the boot loop so I don’t know much on how to help him, does anyone have any tips or processes to fix this? Thank you!

Turn off the overclock.

2 Likes

Turn it off completely, take out the motherboard battery for a couple minutes…
It will reset all possible OC and boot completely default settings.

5 Likes

Clear Cmos. Done.

6 Likes

I think he did that and it didn’t reset it, how long does it usually take?

Oh wow… Well the standard procedure is some 10-15 seconds, but the IDK… Give it some 10 minutes…
There should also be Clear CMOS jumper, that he/she may short to clear… well… the CMOS… But the batery removal should kill all settings and let it boot from default settings.
What is the motherboard?
Gigabyte have Dual Bios for the last billion years, so if he/she is lucky…

hes got a gigabyte mobo and he waited 15 min when removing the battery. hes trying the jumper cable right now, waiting for a response. btw the jumper cable only resets the bios but it doesn’t turn on the pc right?

If he have a Gigabyte board, tell him to check the manual and find the BIOS switch. Gigabyte have Dual Bios, meaning in a situations like that he can just switch to a different BIOS and fix/update the other one.
Just tell him to switch to the other BIOS and work it out from there…
And yes, the Clear CMOS jumper should not have any feedback. When the PC is off, you short the jumper and you will not know if it is working until you turn it back on again.

he removed the jumper and turned it on, still having the problem, ill let him know about the bios switch.

If that doesn’t work - disassemble the entire system, let it rest completely separated, then assemble it again and try again. Nothing else comes to my mind as a possible advice.

Just try changing graphic card pci-e slot…should force a deeper reset. (IMO)…the oc is stamped somewhere in the boot sequence.
Was separate soft used to OC or just bios set ? UEFI ??
try starting windows install sequence with cd/dvd and see if it happens again.
I have had to scrubb certain bios, by removing batt for at least 12 hours. It happens, cmos are weird little beasts.

it was an overclock for his ddr3 ram done in the Bios. it recommended him to boost it, but the motherboard has an i5 6600k. I guess the bios assumes that it has ddr4 because of the cpu being 6 gen (and able to support 7th gen). odd enough I looked up his motherboard and it only supports up to 1600 mhz (I believe), so its odd that it suggested to him to boost it more. As odd as his motherboard is (it was a mobo from a prebuilt system) it does have dual bios but we cant seem to find a switch… pls halp

.a second bios is not always the solution. The 12 hours might do it. As for the bios switch, locate the bios cjhip/chips, the sw should be close by, or it is jumpered, with a 3 pin, and a 2 pin jumper allow either bios one or 2 by shorting only 2 pins at a time.
The scrubs were made with all power to mobo removed and also the battery was OUT, and do not forget you will fall back to defaults that may not coincide with your present operating system.

Did he meant DDR3L ? Because this CPU and most probably Mobo doesn’t support DDR3. Ask him what is his ram just to be sure, and tell him to give you the full name from the box if possible.

1 Like

nope its DDR3, and it worked for (some reason) for a year…

Okay that’s actually rare, what is his Motherboard the full name of it ?
By the way he may have destroyed the ram because he was already pushing it with DDR3 memory that was probably at 1.65V and after the OC it got to more than 1.65 if it was auto from the mobo.

Just to cover all bases… did he unplug the PSU from the wall when he took the battery out?

1 Like

gigabyte ga-h110m-s2pv ddr3, and yes he unplugged the psu from the wall

Does the display on the motherboard show anything at boot up ?

nothing shows, just turns on for a few seconds and then turns off