Uptick in spam text

In the past couple of week I’ve started to receive more and more spam text messages.

Is there a way to block them or combat them?

Current phone is a samsung s20 fe running android 12 on verizon network.

Thanks for any advice!

if your not opposed to google.

Google Messages is probably the best way to do it in a network agnostic manner with call screening

If your okay with switching networks. I have been on T-Mobiles (Amazing network btw very surprised by how reliable and how I get coverage literally everywhere)… Spam Shield Premium Plan for free (grandfathered)…

Ive had no spam calls or texts since they switched on the spam shield…

Outside of that I think there are a couple Spam protection apps on Fdroid but they are hit or miss

Thanks for the info. unfortunately I’m on a family plan so switching is not an option for me at the moment.

1 Like

I sympathize with this since I have had three group text spam message in the last two days.

All from different numbers.

I use Google Fi so I’m not sure how these are getting past the spam filter.

Very annoying.

1 Like

Dude my buddy has too. Like just this week.

So I know the way to get spam callers and robocallers to stop calling you but idk how it would work for text

SMS and to the extent VoLTE is such an insecure pile of rash its laughable

1 Like

Report each spam SMS to your carrier as soon as you get it, and they will deal with it. Spammers are hoping to stay under the radar long enough to hit enough people to make it worthwhile. If you just ignore or delete them, you’re letting the spammers hit hundreds more people. If you report them right away, you’re costing the spammers some money.

Verizon says:
If you receive a spam text message you should send it to Verizon then DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY. please forward it to us right away at S-P-A-M (7726).

3 Likes

Thank you for that info rcxb! I didn’t know there was such a plan in place!

I don’t with to be defeatist but…

I have seen a unique number every single attempt, often faked as local numbers when coming from far out of the country.

You can block, report and do what you do buy it will accomplish nothing until the underlying tech is built to stop this happening.

As it is now, there is no way, either because they can’t, or because they don’t want to, stop any of this.

1 Like

Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam- Spam-

1 Like

Yea …but it won’t get any attention if it’s not reported.

Most of the spam phone calls are from the same state my cell number is in.

Most of the recent spam texts are from Texas and Florida.

1 Like

The carriers have much more ability than you, to track a spoofed number back to their source. Unknown how much effort they put into doing so with messages forward to the SPAM number.

In any case, the SHAKEN/STIR laws will address the issue of spoofing quite, soon:

I didn’t know about this either and I’ve been back with Verizon for a year.

Granted, I have started getting spam texts from myself now as a Verizon user. Yes, Verizon knows about it.

Those are the worst!

So a pattern has emerged of sorts.

I’ve been getting a spam text once a day from a random florida and have been reporting and blocking them. So it seems my number has goten put on some sort of list.

Question I have is there a better sms messaging app that I can either blacklist a state or white list people I want?

1 Like