Decided to upgrade my server and reuse most of the current part to make a gaming system, not having much luck with hardware passthrough and wanted to put in a HBA. Currently looking into it but as a new user to server component, I thought I would check online for validation.
Couple questions/worries I just want to clear
- Does Unraid play nice with dual CPU motherboards in general?
- What’s the impact of only having 2 DIMMs in Quad Channel? Thinking of getting only 2x16GB DIMM to start with for each CPU. If I recall correctly speed will be impacted but that’s it.
- Do I need to match RAM quantity for both CPUs?
- Are the passive cooler for socket R good enough with a normal airflow or would active cooling be recommended?
- Any recommendation on NVME controler for 2-4 drive that should play nice with Unraid?
- I’m looking at getting either the Supermicro MBD-X10DRI or the MBD-X10DRI-T wich has 2 10Gbps port instead of 1Gbps, dual/quad 10Gbps NIC recommendation would also be welcome to see if the price difference with the MBD-X10DRI-T is worth it.
Thanks for any help and feedback, if you need more info from me feel free to ask.
The machine is currently used for
- File storage
- Plex (Jellyfin really)
- Ingesting media (DvDs/BluRays)
Things I’m looking to do in the near future
- VMs for hosting Foundry (Virtual Tabletop for RPGs)
- Cloud hosting/streaming
- Steam Cache
Current Unraid Server, Parts kept
- Corsair 750D
- GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER
- ASUS BW-16D1HT
- 2x8TB + 4x4TB HDDs
- 1 500GB PCIe 3.0 NVME
- LSI 9207-4i4e SAS HBA
- 750W PSU from Corsair
New Parts Plan
- CPU: 2 Xeon e5-2660v3, these seems to have good enough performance at ~100$ CAD each
- MB: Supermicro MBD-X10DRI or the MBD-X10DRI-T if I can find one for not that much more
- RAM: 1 kit of 4x16GB ECC DDR4 split 2 for each CPU
- NVME Controller: looking
- Dual/Quad 10Gbps NIC: looking