Upgrading to X470 instead X570 for new processors

I just became a happy owner of Aorus X570 Pro. Can’t wait to try this!

3 Likes

Heard good things about the MSi B450 Tomahawk, so if you can get that it is a decent option + it has flashback so you can upgrade the BIOS pretty easily even without a CPU. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I think you should upgrade your motherboard to X570 Gigabyte, as they have the best power delivery and usable extras on there boards. The rest of your parts will still be compatible and you can upgrade them when you have the cash. The gigabyte boards were engineered with AMD right from the start, and with a specific high frequency ram (DDR4 3600 16 timing) this gave the best performance results for motherboard and CPU… sorry don’t remember the vendor name for the ram but it should be easy to find out. I do think Pcie gen 4 will be important for the next few years, everyone else is playing catch up right now.As far as parts go I have no favorite company I just use whoever offers me the best quality. If you have to upgrade slowly try not to buy parts that you’ll get a small gain from now but have to replace again before your finished…If was in your situation I would go with the motherboard first then the cpu 3700x or 3900x then 32gbs of ram faster storage and a 5700xt…I think that setup will serve you well for the next few years and at that point you should only have to get a better graphics card to extend the use for a little longer …Some expert reviews to check out would be buildzoid for the technical breakdown of the motherboards and Epos vox for the graphics card…I hope this helps in some way.

1 Like

Thanks for reply. Yes, that’s actually what I did. I installed new motherboard and it went so smoothly.

I also got benefit of Intel LAN which I prefer and proper fan controls, and better VRM. These are nice even for running 2700x. I really consider 3900x for future as I need to do renders and video. I already have 32GB memory, 3000Mhz SniperX. It should be fast enough for my needs for now but it’s nice to know that I can get faster ram working if I need.

I noticed there is no Performance Boost Overdrive setting in Bios for 2700x.
I wonder if it’s enabled by default? I see maximum core clocks about 4,300 Mhz so I guess all is fine. I heard there are some bios update bugs so I wonder if I should update the bios or not. Now I can work with this machine so I guess “if it works don’t fix it”.

Do you know should I use Ryzen Balanced power plan in Windows for this processor? Or is it meant only for older gen?

(I should tame desire to continuously upgrade work machine.)

Would be cool if you could make a topic about your build.
And keep us updated about its running.

In my opinion the Aorus X570 pro is one of the better boards,
you could get around that $260,- ish price mark.
So i´m curious how it runs.

1 Like

Oh that’s very nice of you to suggest that.
I can at least write my personal experience even though I am not any kind of hardware expert, just ”interested person”.

This is an old post but I thought I’d hit you with an idea, and this really revolves around AMD since they support sockets typically through a few generations of CPUs.

I think you made the best choice by buying an X570 MB, and to me it’s not about saving money, if you have the money to spend, it’s about longevity. Irregardless of what some people say, or however they feel about the term, the X570 is much more future proof, BECAUSE OF PCIe gen4. You made a comment about sticking a Zen+ CPU on this board and that’s the best thing you can do. Save the money and wait for Zen3 to come out, then upgrade your system with the last gen CPU that the MB will take. According to what I read, there will be enough improvement to warrent buying that gen, so buying a Zen2 CPU to go on this board when you have a good CPU right now seems like a waste of money, because of Zen3.

The next issue is the GPU. In the next few years GPUs are going to improve as 4K seems to be the goal for gaming. The reason why PCIe gen4 is significant has to do with 2 things, the current bandwidth capabilities of today’s GPUs, and the limitation of Ryzen. This may make a difference to your system or not. I’ll expand.

Right now the 2080 Ti is the first GPU that can get bottlenecked by PCIe gen3 X8. It’s a PCIe3 GPU of course. What this means is as GPUs get faster, their bandwidths are going to be between that of PCIe3 X8 and PCIe4 X8. X8 is the key here. IF you EVER plan on adding some adapter to your system to the other PCIe slots, your slot for the GPU drops to X8. For the 2080 TI, that’s a real bummer because it drops to its gen3 speed, at X8, for which it gets bottlenecked part of the time. The limitation of Ryzen and of course the MBs is you only get X16 on one slot if there are no other adapters added to other slots. Otherwise, the best you get is X8/X8 or something like X8/X4/X4.

What all that means is if you want to add an adapter, then you want to wait to make a quality purchase for the GPU, until there’s either a gen4 GPU that gives the better performance, or gen5, for which the rumor is in a couple years Nvidia will be releasing PCIe gen5 boards. Luckily the PCIe specs require backward compatibility, so if you buy something like a PCIe5 GPU, and your system kicks it down to X8, as already talked about, it will drop to PCIe4, or it’s supposed to. Well, that bandwidth has a good decade before it becomes a bottleneck.

If a person were to purchase as X470, AND they add an adapter to the PCIe slots, then they’re kind of stuck with today’s GPUs, because in about 2 - 3 years, I’m pretty sure many of the faster GPUs are going to get bottlenecked by PCIe3 X8.

Anyway by buying an X570 board, and putting a Zen3 CPU in it when maybe their prices drop, and then waiting for 3 - 4 years to make a final GPU purchase, with the MB you have, that system, in FIVE YEARS will be EXCELLENT. And, you won’t be limited by adding some adapter to your system. It’s the best thing you could possibly do, or don’t buy anything until Zen4 comes out.

1 Like

This is an old thread, but thank you so much for great reply!! That is great point about PCI gen4. I also think so.

As I have got commercial work as a 3D modeler, I then went on with few of upgrades, mainly R9 3950x and another 32GB of RAM which makes the total now 64GB, plus a new GPU, RTX 2080 Super. I am happy I got a board that I know can handle 16 core processor.

As I deal with massive texture sets and baking them, I needed the RTX card as Substance Painter and now utilize the ray tracing in baking.

Furthermore I didn’t realize that I actually was lacking in memory. 64 GB allows to hold so much more in memory and this certainly helps a lot.

Then for last I did add another NVME drive as this again helps with loading heavy 15-20GB Substance Painter files. I am not sure how much the NVME helps here when comparing to SATA SSDs but since the NVME prices are not that much different comparing to SATA, I thought why not? Can’t hurt to have faster storage.

One more thing, Linus said in his video that R9 3950x supports ECC memory, and so does my board. This is something I might consider in the future just for one more added layer of stability. I might be doing longer render sessions or even simulations for my CG client. Well honestly I do not do wind tunnel simulations to test airplane wings or building structural integrity … so a flipped bit in my case might be catastrophic situation of having to press render button again…

1 Like