Upgrading to NVME problems

Hey guys, I need you’re help…

I have a b450m ds3h Rev 1 board. I’ve been running win 10 from a Kingston SSD. However I recently purchased a M.2 NVME 1TB WD Blue SN550, but I’m having insane problems with it.

I connected it & booted into windows like normal. Windows doesn’t detect it, nor does disk manager. I went into bios & it does detect it & even the self test setting within the NVME settings passes. So all as it should be.

Now, If I boot to USB to start to install windows, the NVME drive shows up. I installed windows to the NVME drive & it boots into windows like normal & all the other Sata drives are also shown up. However, if I then boot windows on my kingston SATA drive, the NVME drive disappears.

Both drives are both GPT. I have tried using my pro Paragon partition manager suit & migrate windows which has always worked before onto the NVME when I installed it on the NVME drive after booting into the windows on that drive. However, I get the windows logo but then nothing more, just a constant boot loop.

I really do not want to have to start again with a fresh windows… So I need help why I cant get my NVME drive to detect within windows when I’ve booted into my kingston SSD drive or why if I migrate my windows from my Kingston SSD drive to the NVME it gives me a boot loop.

I’ve looked on the website & manual & I can’t find or maybe I just don’t understand the info, to know if my M.2 drive when in use, disables any of my SATA ports or anything. But they all work if I boot into my NVME on a fresh windows install, so I’m at a loss. Also my firmware is the latest for the board.

Thanks in advance

That sounds a lot like a chipset driver issue. What is the make and model of your motherboard?

Edit: Disregard VsUK: Skimmed over ds3h and didn’t think it recognize it as model. Working on next response. Stand by :slight_smile:

Download latest chipset driver from Gigabyte’s website, install and reboot

Direct Download Link:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_chipset_amd_3.10.22.706.zip?v=6fc14a7903c161ad231de7a8806dccf2

Hi, ty for the quick reply. You got me all excited then for a moment. I have installed chipset, rebooted & still no NVME drive detected in disk management.

I didn’t think it was the chipset, because it booted windows on the NVME when It was the only thing connected. As soon as I connect my Sata SSD drive & booted into windows, my NVME vanishes from being detected in windows.

I have included some BIOS images. Someone on Discord said something about maybe the NVME is disabling a SATA connector, but if I boot windows on that SATA connector, it disables the NVME or something.

Anyways, here’s the images…

My 3rd image… limited due to being new user…

Thanks for the bios screenshots VsUK. Very helpful as my next question was if RAID mode was enabled in BIOS (and screenshots show it’s not). Is anything unidentified or flagged in device manager? I really feel like this is going to be a driver related problem if the BIOS can see the NVMe drive but Windows cannot.

Nup, nothing flagged. I like to keep my system up to date. But I can’t see it being a driver issue either. Because I detached all my SATA SSDs & installed fresh windows on the NVME & it boots up normally. I then connect all my SATA SSDs, including the one windows is installed on & booted up normally onto the NVME. It just refuses to be detected if I boot into windows using my current Kingston SSD windows drive.

Also also just finished testing something. I installed windows fresh onto an SSD, exactly the same way as I did on the NVME & still no NVME shown up in windows. I also installed Western Digital Dashboard & it failed to detect it also.

It’s like the NVME won’t work if I have anything connected to my SATA ports, other than showing up in BIOS. And my board supports the M.2 NVME drive up to 2TB, mines 1TB.

Never used NVME drives before. I was tempted to go with another SSD, but the read/write speeds appealed to me, especially because I like to play Rust & that game takes its time loading lol…

So i understand the logic when you say you booted from the NVMe and you could see the SATA drive, therefore it should work in inverse. But unfortunately, that’s not always the case. Usually the boot drive will get a pass on any missing drivers (with reduced throughput) and other unsupported drives won’t be detected. But in those cases something is usually flagged in device manager. One last thing to check… Does WDS100T20C show up under Device Manger → Disk Drives?

If not, I’m out of ideas. Maybe one of the alpha geeks can chime in :face_with_monocle:

Nothing. I’ve checked everything & nothing shows up like the NVME drive isn’t even connected to the board. But freshly installing windows & booting into the NVME, everything works, I really just don’t want to have to start fresh. Even migrating my SSD OS onto the NVME just causes the NVME to boot loop after about 20 seconds of the windows logo appearing.

Yeah, appreciate the help. I might just have to contact gigabyte support & see what they say. It’s not the board, because I like to buy 2 of everything I buy, just in case 1 fails & I’ve tried this on the bran new spanking board I opened this morning just to see if it was the board & exactly the same thing.

Giving me a headache, been at it for like 3 days… lol

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.