Upgrading - practically a new build - interested in hardware opinions

I built my current PC in 2011 around an AMD Phenom II. I have upgraded some of the components, but at this point the CPU is a bit of a bottleneck, and the Ryzen platform is looking pretty good to me. My CPU cooler is also too tall to (safely) close the case.
As a result, I am considering getting a new case, motherboard, and CPU.

Budget: flexible, but I would like to stay under $800 (for the parts I don’t already have) unless there are compelling reasons to go higher. I’m looking for pretty good value per dollar, but I do want a powerful system.
Preferred retailers: Amazon and NewEgg, however I am flexible.
Overclocking: I have never done it, but I feel like the ecosystem for it is at a point where I might try it.
Custom watercooling: probably not in the foreseeable future.
Purpose: Gaming and programming. I am pretty interested in VMs with PCI passthrough (more on this later in the post.)
Gaming settings: I am generally willing to crank the settings way down if it will significantly improve performance, however I do prefer high settings if my machine can handle it.
Gaming FPS: I like to target a steady 60Hz, and while I can tolerate less, I start to get annoyed when there are a lot of dips under 30Hz.
Gaming resolution: I own a 4k 60Hz display. If I can stay around 60Hz at 4k, I will do so, however I will run at 1080p otherwise.
Game choices: I play a variety of types of games, with some common staples being modern first-person games and heavily modded Minecraft. I sometimes host game servers for my friends on the same box that I’m playing the game client on.

Some components I plan on salvaging from my current build:

Current (very rough) draft of a build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ghNrKZ
I don’t have my heart totally set on any of these parts.
I do want a fairly efficient, modular power suply.
I don’t care about case RGB, although if it can’t be turned off, that might be a negative for me.
I plan to add RAM over time, so fewer, larger sticks is preferable even if I’m not using all channels on day 1.

PCI passthrough:
I have 2 main use cases for PCI passthrough.
First, and most important to me, is to be able to game on Windows inside a VM without a noticeable performance penalty. Once in a while I either mess up a previously working Windows installation, or just want to start fresh. A VM with snapshots would help a lot with that.
Second, I would like the option of running two gaming VMs at the same time (for LAN parties.) I have a spare GPU that I could use for this, and I would very much like to cram both gaming sessions into the same case. The more GPUs I could cram in, the better, but I feel like more than 2 might be asking too much.

Ryzen preference:
I have basically assumed that I want Ryzen up to this point, but feel free to let me know (along with reasons) if you think Intel would suit my purposes better.
I am a bit of a fan of AMD, however I also think that Ryzen would be a pretty good choice for my use cases of simultaneous VMs, PCI passthrough, and programming-related multithreaded workloads.