Upgrading Pentium G3258 to ______?

Good morning everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my Pentium G3258 (OC to 4.4 GHz). My current parts are listed below. I was thinking of upgrading to either an Intel Xeon e3 1231v3 or Intel i7 4790k. I understand that their is a decent price difference between the two. But I am stuck on determining whether the price difference is worth it... Any suggestions/comments will be very much appreciated.

Current Use
- Data mining via MS SQL Server Express (large data sets, i.e. 23 million rows)
- Visual Studio C# Programming
* Both uses scenarios are currently for exploratory use

Goal
- Increase the responsiveness of queries to allow for more complex queries across multiple databases.
- Increase responsiveness of Visual Studio

Current Components
Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Asus Z87-A (NFC Express Edition) ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qfgH6h

Thank you for your time!

• Joe

If you want to overclock, go with the i7. Otherwise, go with the Xeon.

If you want to keep the price down a little bit, you can always go for an i5-4690k. I also had a G3258 build, and only yesterday bumped it up to the 4690K, the increase in performance is really nice, and it is all I really need for gaming and video work (and some other stuff). From your usages though a i7 would probably be best... though the Xeon is probably better since your applications rely on reliable work rather than fast work so OCing isn't really needed.

2 Likes

i5-4690k

1 Like

I would personally go with the Xeon, assuming that I never planned on needing the iGPU.

Upgrading to an Intel quad core processor would be better. Be it i5, i7 or Xeon, I would choose Xeon as it provides best value for money.

4770K would be your best bet on a Z87 mobo.
Or if you dont care about overclocking Xeon E3-1230-V3

1 Like

The Xeon is a good choice

Thanks for all the help everyone!

both haswell and devils canyon work in z87 however unless OP really needs the extra performance, I would recommend the 4690k

I would hunt for a used i7 personally unless you need the performance asap. Ideally the Xeon is a better choice but the i7 will have better performance.

I would avoid the i5 since I don't think it will quite meat your needs and will essentially just be the Pentium with 2 extra cores (since the Pentium is a binned i5)

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! What would you consider a good used price for an i7 4790k in the US?

pro tip, if you're ever unsure search it on ebay then click 'sold items' on the filter...
looks like they're selling at about 250-300 right now so i'd aim for 250-270

1 Like

Thanks!

Basicly yes.
But on some Z87 boards its a pain in the ass to use DC chips on.
Atleast back in the day wenn DC got released and bios updates for Z87 first came out,
there were a few reports of boards that were overvolting the DC chips.
Gigabyte in particular seem to have had these issues, but also some others.
I assume that this issue is allready tackled by newly released biosses but still.