Upgrading old Phenom 955 system to Ryzen 1600x Vega56/1070ti, its been a while

True that. Even 850 Evo is expensive. Almost every Modern SSD on the market nowadays saturates the SATA 3 (6Gb/s) without much of an issue.

It’s a great board… But is it really good idea to pair a 200$ cpu with 200$ board? I mean for 400 I would rather get cheaper board and R7 1700…
For cases I strongly recommend looking for functionality over style. Define S is not bad, may be the last decent case from Fractal before they lost their minds, but I will turn the clock even further back in time.
I will simply never stop recommending Arc Midi R2. It have everything function wise.

It’s hard to predict the future, but I like to keep my systems as “future proof” as possible. In 3 years or so it’d be nice to drop a 10-12 core threadripper-esque cpu like people are doing with older Xeons now, 2x the RAM and maybe a new gpu and get a few extra years out of it.

I kinda shot myself in the foot with the current PC, went DDR3 when everyone was switching to DDR4, the Phenom was already 18±months old, I didn’t know AMD wasn’t going to have competitive CPUs for 5 years either.

Have any future Ryzen or Vega hardware roadmaps etc been released/teased? I know ryzen and Vega just dropped this spring/summer. With GPU prices being insane but showing signs of leveling off, I’m really tempted to just sit on my 960gtx for a few months to give that market a chance to calm down & aftermarket Vega cards to ship (right now looks like everyone is shipping the stock card) for better cooking and quieter fans. RAM prices are similarly high, but it looks like that’s just the way it’s gonna be with the phone market buying up chips & manufacturers price gouging, no signs it’s going to be better Q1 2018.

I just dropped that case in as a place holder in my price range. I currently have this case: http://www.lancoolpc.com/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=13&cl_index=1&sc_index=&ss_index=62&g=spec a LanCool (lianIi’s budget brand) K60, which is a great case. I might pull my current system out of it (I have a few old spare cases here) and drop the new one in.

I haven’t really looked much into cases at the moment. I’ve moved on from the flashy cases and like minimalist design but lots of nice features like shock absorbed removable drive cages, lots of rubberized cable management, pci slot zif levers (I really like those in my current case… So much nicer than screws and having to punch out the metal covering pci slots) and zero sharp edges. Had a case once years ago that had a slide out atx tray, basically a removable “test bench” set up that would slide, intact, back into the case. I went through the trouble of “sound proofing” my prior build and while my current system isn’t loud by any means, having a fairly quiet system that’s blazing fast is pretty cool. So save the crazy cyberpunk/mech case design, the LED light show (although understated rgb set to give at a glance performance feedback would be cool… And I did embed 5m of rgb strips into my glass desk, but it’s normally set to the darkest red or blue setting because I’m a 3rd shift/vampire/mole person and bought the corsair rgb mechanical keyboard), I don’t even need a side window.

The one thing I don’t like about my current case is its size. I don’t need to go mATX/ITX, but something an inch or two shorter that this one would allow it to sit on the bottom shelf of my desks built in shelves (current desk: http://www.ifurn.com/pics/8/xmodels/z-line-designs-nero-desk-and-bookcase.ZL2021DBU.2._raw.jpg) and on that side I wouldn’t be able to see into its side window anyway.

That case is… Actually pretty good…
Function wise the new cases can’t offer you anything, that this one doesn’t have. Only visual goodies.

I dont think you made a mistake going ddr3 at that time.

Back then there was literally no reason to go ddr4 as the speeds were meh and the price was crazy in comparison to ddr3.

At best you would have got 2133 or 2400 (at that point in time) at silly prices and it would not have been great paired with ryzen… so you would effectively have been looking to upgrade the memory as well by now.

Sure it would have lowered the inital cost of the platform but I dont think you would have kept that ram long for your ryzen build

I have the taichi x370 and it is awesome, fairly certain that when zen 2 comes out it will handle that with ease.

Yeah, I guess the biggest problem was AMD’s offerings between the Phenom and Ryzen were flat out terrible. I spent an hour or two today looking to see if the FX series chips would 1 work in my mobo (they do) and 2 offer any improvement to my current system (FX 8xxx series chips are ~$50 used). Looks like my Phenom 955 still holds up in single core, at 4 cores the fx8350 is slightly ahead, and the other improvements are just from the additional 4 cores. That’s just… Damn.

The first gen i5/i7 chips still almost hold up today and $50 used cpus give significant performance boosts. But I guess I have to keep in mind that extra initial buy-in cost, I believe a similar performing Intel build when I put this pc together was an additional $300+.

I’ve been Team AMD from my first home built Athlon system back when the CPUs were on a card, through thoroughbred, Barton, Athlon 64 and Phenom (plus about 20 builds for other people sprinkled in that time). I’m glad the dark times are over and AMD is back in the game with interesting CPUs again.

I agree with @steinwerks. I have several WD drives that have never failed me, however I’ve had multiple seagate drives spanning several years that have failed. HGST drives are very good though, no problems with those

I also agree on the 1600 rather than 1600x. lower tdp and easier overclocking (I own one oc’d at 3.8 very easily). I also own another system with a 1700x, and wish I’d gotten the 1700, as the 1700x is harder to OC due to higher tdp. however on the motherboard side I returned my MSI b350 tomahawk due to some component placement issues and got an asus strix b350-f, which works great. (also using asus strix x370-f in the 1700x rig) As far as manufacturers go for motherboards, I avoid asrock unless i’m on a tight budget, as their build quality can be hit or miss. I havent had any good luck with gigabyte. MSI or ASUS are good, but I lean towards ASUS, and as he mentioned, pay attention to the VRMs

Again, agree, stick with 650w psu. I own a vega 64 and that thing is a power hungry space heater. I run mine on an 800w psu, but plan on upgrading that to an 850w seasonic focus+ modular (damn good deal @ $80 for 80+ gold rated)

I already own the HDD, I just looked and it’s a WD blue.

I know the tdp of the 1600 is lower than 1600x, but it’s a lower clock speed and once oc’d that’s all out the window. Looking around there seems to be some consensus that the 1600x can oc a bit higher and hit faster ram speeds, possibly indicating a binning of chips. I mean, if they were $100 different I’d stick with the 1600 but it’s what, $20? Since its looking like the 960Pro is overkill for my needs, I might use the saved money going with a 850 level ssd to get a H2O AIO cooler instead of air so the included cooler is even more a moot point.

Edit: looking into the stock cooler on the 1600, looks like pushing voltages really overwhelms the wraith spire over something like the $20 Hyper 212 EVO (what I’m currently using in this build). Some figures here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/66nno7/amd_wraith_spire_vs_cooler_master_212_ryzen_5/dgk2y6o temps under load in the upper 80’s C is out of my comfort zone for longevity, hell I prefer to keep things below 60-65.

And, I mean what’s the point of going with a x370 board over a B350 for superior power phase design/construction if you aren’t planning on pushing the juice.

had a 1600 before giving that to my brother and getting a 1700 (MOAR CORES!)

the 1600 was able to get to 4 ghz on a h80i on my taichi board… given ryzen cant really go any higher I am not sure what the 1600x would give you.

No reason to overclock… Basically…
1600 goes for 3,8 out of the box with no problems… So there’s that (statistics)… And if you are lucky enough you may get the wrongly branded 1600, that are actually 1700 (no defective locked cores)…
So there’s that as well…
But if you don’t want to mess wit OC and BIOS (sorry, UEFI), just get the 1600X and you’re golden…

1 Like

Well that really depends on which segment you are looking for with a motherboard.
Asrock´s midrange to highend boards are pretty decent nowdays.
In case of the am4 platform, the Asrock X370 Taichi and X370 professional Gaming exally have one of the the best vrm implementations of all am4 boards on the market right now.
And the overall build quality on those boards is also decent.
Asrock has really upped their game wenn it comes to their motherboards and build qualities,
atleast as far as their midrange to highend boards are concerned.
Asrock´s X299 Intel and X399 AMD Threadripper boards are also awesome.

But wenn it comes to B350 boards in general,
Pretty much all B350 boards on the market today, have a pretty poor vrm implementation.
That counts for every brand.

So yeah it really depends on which particular platform and what price segment people are looking for.
You kinda get get what you are paying for, that counts for every brand.
You really dont have to avoid Asrock boards nowdays.

yeah i mean the last time i used an asrock board was on an lga 1155 build, and it worked decent enough, just had some friends who didnt have such luck with the same model

Yeah they had some quality issues in the past thats true.