Return to

Upgrading Mobo (maybe more) - Opinions?


So when I built my computer I bought an i7-6700K and an Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero.

USB ports on the mobo went bad and I replaced it with a cheap but decent ASRock H170M-Pro4 and a Thermaltake V21 because I wanted a smaller setup.

I’ve had that for a couple years now and the UEFI is kinda wonky. Other than that it works fine, but I’m short on USB ports and I have a capture card that I wanna stick in it that just won’t fit without blocking off my GPU.

So like there’s nothing major that’s broken or needs to be replaced, but it’s a combination of minor annoyances and some wants that are leading me to buy a better mobo.

I also plan on buying an ATX case instead of microATX.

Option 2

Switch to Ryzen 7 2700X. This will require saving up a little longer of course.

It’s on sale on Newegg right now. I’ve heard they may be coming out with something new soon, but I don’t really care about the latest and greatest unless it’s substantially better for the same price.

Not sure which mobo yet.

ATX case.

Is the Ryzen 7 2700X much better, or would it not be a significant difference?

I do do some editing in Premier Pro, Photoshop, Lightroom, and 3D stuff for school as well, so this isn’t purely from a gaming perspective.

Edit: Z270 mobo prices seem ridiculous right now. That’s another factor.

  • Just get new mobo, keep i7-6700K, save money
  • Overhaul system with Ryzen 7 2700X

0 voters



Both options are wrong! Wait for ZEN2. Because:



Assuming these prices are correct I’m gonna have to agree, especially since it’s only a couple months away.

I’ll probably go for the 3700X. $499 is a bit much for me and probably overkill anyways, and the difference between the 3700 and 3800 doesn’t seem like it’s worth the extra 20% price.

Besides, buying mid-tier allows me to upgrade every few years without feeling as bad about spending so much :grin:



Those prices look correct from everything i have seen

1 Like


I would wait for Zen 2’s release, and (most likely) buy a higher end X470 board. The x570 boards are most likely going to be significantly more expensive, and unless you have a reason to have a mighty need for ultrafast SSDs, IO hungry addin cards, or Thunderbolt 3

If nothing else, the Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series chips will be cheaper :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like


This is the logic I’m using too. Not sure if I’ll end up going for the 3600X or 3700X yet though.

But waiting for Zen2 I think is your best option. The increase in IPC that AMD are advertising, combined with the MSRP and core/thread count make them REALLY compelling. Also the new x570 boards are supposed to have PCIe Gen 4?? Crazy time to be alive.



Ya I’m hoping it’s a legit upgrade, so I’m going to wait. At the same time, I feel like we’re promised that with every new generation, and most of the time it’s nothing significant.

So would my Crucial P1 (PCIe gen 3) still work? Or would I need to basically just swap out everything except the PSU and GPU lol. If that’s the case, I may just go with a 2700X or 8700K. I don’t have the money to build basically an entirely new PC.



It should be compatible with existing gen 3 devices.

All of the PCI Express versions are both forward as well as backward compatible. This implies that irrespective of the particular version of the PCI Express your computer system or motherboard is able to support, they should be working together, at least at some minimum level.

1 Like