Upgrading an 1700X

My main Linux system is a 1700X sitting in a 370 motherboard. Today I just got a great deal on a 3700X and a 570 motherboard. i want to move my nvme containing latest Linux Mint over to the 570 motherboard and CPU but I remember reading about issues with Ryzen 3000 and Linux. Is that an issue still? Don’t have much time for tinkering to find out unfortunately so I was hoping this community could help me out.

Basically it should work.
but i would recommend to install a newer 5 series kernel firstly,
before you do the transition.
But make sure you got your backup’s in place just in case something goes wrong.

Linux Mint 19.2 Tina is currently in beta, but still ships with 4.15 kernel series,
because its based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
But Mint has an build in kernel updater, which provides you also the newer 4.18 and 5.x series of kernels.
For the newest Ryzen platform, your best luck will likely be with the 5 series kernels.

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping that support for the 3000 series Ryzen would be backported to the kernel provided by 18.04 LTS? Backups are good but I am looking at probably having to tinker with this a fair amount and as you recommended, going with the newer 5 series kernels might be the best way to, even those kernel updates have sometimes caused trouble elsewhere. It is funny that now I have money to spend on hardware, I don’t have the time. It always used to be the other way around…

Well yeah as long as you also keep the original 4.15 kernel installed on the system.
Then at least you could roll back when needed.