Upgrade to Threadripper 5995wx

Hello Everyone!

The first thing I would like to ask, is if there is any new info - speculation regarding 5000 threadrippers hitting retail, recently MSI anounced a motherboard for TR pro but no other info was given.

The second one, is if Epyc cpus are a viable alternative, even though I know that higher clocks would benefit my workflow.
I ready that Epycs are better for a build that will be in service for years.

From time to time, I work with big files, cad polygonal exports, and heavy substance painter files, 3d and 2d software, so the main reason to upgrade is the limitations of am4 platform, ram to be more specific.

I initially started saving for a 5995wx last year (before it was delayed twice), but did some attempts to either get a 3990x or 3995wx within the last 2 months.
Had an official AMD retailer failing to fulfull my order and made me wait and loose time, shops having false invertory status, thus me ordering and having my funds being on hold for days.
After some attempts I found nothing better than a 3955… and ended up being tired and dissapointed for something I should be excited for…

With the updated-inflated prices, I do have 1-2months of grinding ahead of me before upgrading. and with these types of heavy projects occuring more frequently, you have me here asking these questions.

The 2nd gen TR-Pros are held back, for an undisclosed period, via OEM bias
Very similiar vein, to the inaugural release, of TR-Pro [Lenovo 2for2, with 1st dibs]

Thanks a lot for the reply, I’m aware of their tactics, and possibly this will be the last time I will buy anything AMD.
I feel totally let down by them.

The first time around hedt threadrippers were available alongside the pro models, this time they let the market dry on purpose.

Today Dell announced their own brand of e-waste with tr pro.

When 3000 series TR Pro were released, I remember Lenovo listing their Workstations for a couple of months before we saw any parts in retail. I haven’t seen a word from AMD about availability in retail, so one can only speculate.
But OEMs began advertising and selling their new TR recently, so if the old pattern applies to TR Pro 5000 as well, expect availability in a couple of months. But AMD will not give out press statement or any other announcement, it will just appear in stock of retailers, or doesn’t at all.

edit: I know how you feel, I was waiting for non-pro TR 5000 series for a long time before I moved on. My workstation is on hold right now and I’m waiting for 4th gen EPYC and Intel Sapphire Rapids/Fishhawk Falls later this year to reconsider if they’re worth my money.

1 Like

AMD [REALLY] screwed the pooch, when it came to sTRX4
It was supposed to be the long-term HEDT, after x399 had a hard endpoint
And its [lack of] forecast by AMD, is telling of a $$$ 1-off platform

messed-up-you

2 Likes

So hours ago they announced that SIs will get the new chips next month and a bit later will hit retail, lets see what gives…

1 Like

Actually, retail channels seem even less likely because they’re unifying the 2 platforms of Threadripper Pro and Threadripper. Meaning you have to have a WRX80 motherboard to use the next gen of Threadripper.

Also, if they DON’T release to retail channels, OEMs can always do the physical fuse preventing other motherboards or manufacturers from using the CPU from a pre-build.

They will release it, since all motherboard companies are comming out with mobos for them, no reason for MSI and asrock to list their non oem mobos.

I’m more sceptical about the price to be honest.
Saving money yes, but I’m unsure for how much longer I have to grind for one.

We know the prices for boards…expensive. Can’t get any worse than that really.

CPUs…take the TR Pro 3000 series and add 10-15% for a given core count and you’re probably good. If some of the new SKUs (12 core and 24 core) will make it to retail, we’ll see…

But they’re higher clocked and cheaper than Milan F-Series SKUs and that’s what really matter for most people :slight_smile:

Lenovo certainly will and many other like Dell are doing this with EPYC for years already. They end up on ebay for a big discount but with vendor lock. I only hope OEMs don’t get exclusivity on entire SKUs like the 24 core, which is a core count that is very popular for us DIY enthusiasts.

3 Likes

But the 16 core and 24 core are exactly the ones they likely will lock behind OEM exclusivity for more profit.

I personally believe Threadripper is dead for everyone other than for the W-3175X audience.

I really hope AMD goes back to itself for chipset chips because that was the best situation IOMMU-wise on X570. X670 will regress back to all being lumped in the same IOMMU group because the chip is made by ASMedia.

i will continue to argue that there is just no longer a reason to to buy TR systems. EPYC covers workstation up to huge VM environments. AM5 covers desktop to intro workstation. EPYC has even received a fair number of workstation style boards. if you need more than AM5, use EPYC.

Exactly. This “unification” of product lines is the final nail in the coffin.

If you wanted extreme overclocking, may as well keep your W-3175X.

That applies to AM4 too, yet Threadripper was a great product during the last years. I personally want more than 24 lanes and more memory channels while still having clock speeds comparable to Ryzen. And that’s not what either platform can deliver, but Threadripper (Pro) can.

And no, if I need/want more than a 2.000$ PC then the next step is a 75F3 Milan Workstation for 10.000$ (that still has 1GHz lower base clock)?

There IS a gap and I’m not the only one who fits into that.

2 Likes

Yet I was hoping for Threadripper Pro 16 core processors to come down enough in price so that I could have that massive amount of I/O. It never did. I had to act and thus I got a i9-10920X system in lieu of good Threadripper options. The conversion rate to Canadian makes it that much more worse to get Threadripper Pro.

System Integrators are just using retail parts, no?
I don’t think those guys have any incentive to vendor lock the stuff. that would be a pretty bad move.

The main advantages of TR over Epyc, is clockspeed and motherboards
If you do a mix of single and multicore, it feels than niche.

Ah I feel you, I tried for 3 months to get something, so I can work without having to jump through hoops. All I got was 2 cancelled orders from shops, and interesting converstations with scalpers…

Next time it’s intel.

Nope, OEMs can get CPUs direct from AMD. They can then customize it with a physical fuse that prevents use outside a certain vendor.

What you state is correct, maybe I made the wrong assumption that OEM = companies like Lenovo, Dell etc.

System Integrators = various companies that build using retail compontents. NZXT, Puget etc.

The waiting game while I have to jump through hoops to get things done is nerve-racking.

After 11months of grinding, made it!!!
Now I have to slowly gather the rest of the stuff!

So I got him a waterblock (EK-Pro CPU WB sTR Rack - Nickel + Acetal) and a quick release system,

I do have some questions regarding watercooling, some quite noobish admittedly. Let’s start with the first one, and will post the others If I’m not able to find a conclusive answer.

I’m planning to cool the cpu with a 1080, push pull configuration.
There are 2 pumps available from EK.

a dual one

and a single one

From what I read, the dual one is better as a system failsafe, in case one pump fails, but it’s providing more pressure and this can make the loop more vulnerable to leakage.

Any thoughts on the matter will be appreciated!

1 Like