Upgrade Time. Ryzen. Opinions?

Shit meaning theoretically slightly worse. Like those corsair psus everyone loves to hate on

1 Like

Can't really go wrong with an asetek style aio, they've proven their reliability.

Completely fine for R5 and upcoming R3. They are technically fine for R7 but high overclock 24/7 puts a lot of stress on them and they get really hot.

They also have less phases to begin with so chances are less stable overclock.

That's the risk with any overclocking though.

Yes but with everything cranked to max the VRM of the Taichi runs ice cold.
It's a matter of quality and (in the case of the Taichi) also quantity because of the sheer amount of MOSFETs.

The Taichi has slightly better VRM than the ASUS one.

Search feature exists. It is the hourglass thing next to your profile photo at the top right.

From: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/what-ram-mobo-should-i-get-for-m-atx-am4/117094

2 Likes

Thanks for the posting this !

Yeah that's why I've been recommended it but the I/O on the asus is what I also need. :disappointed_relieved:

Rocking Ryzen 1700x on AsRock X370 Fatality Gaming K4 here.

You don´t need an AIO with Ryzen. Running the Noctua NH-U12S results in idle temperatures like this at very little noise output. And if the fan was to fail, I could just move one of the case fans over to the heatsink and continue my work.
Full load 3.4GHz after half an hour gets you in the high 60°C range. Noise levels stay in the very-quiet zone.

As for RAM: With up to date BIOS, everything DDR4 works. In my case 2x 8GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3200MHz at 2933MHz.

1 Like

But I'm looking to over-clock mine to 3.9 to 4.0 Ghz and keep it there steady all the time though

You'll probably want a better cooler to hit those speeds

Speaking from experience, no air cooler can keep clock speeds that high at low enough temps (<75*C). You will need an AIO liquid one for that.

A mild overclock of 200Mhz however like MazeFrame's really is fine on air however. (A stock frequency of 3.0 with XFR is actually always at 3.2Ghz).

Yeah thats my list of recommended boards for Ryzen 7 cpu´s.
Asus also recentlly launched a X370 F ROG Strix board.
I have not looked at it yet in full detail, but it looks to me that this board,
is similar to the X370 prime pro, but then with some ROG feutures on it.
But since i have not looked at it in detail, i have not add it to the list yet.

1 Like

I have my Ryzen 7 1700 at 3.8GHz on air. Did handbrake and blender stuff for testing and it is fine.

For daily use and short renders maybe. But if it can't survive 24/7 Prime95 In-Place FFTs + Furmark, then it is not 100% stable as far as I am concerned.

What is your workload?

24/7 Prime95 In-Place FFTs + Furmark

Glad we talked about that. :+1:

2 Likes

So I recommend like most here the Taichi mobo. Just because of the mosfets and its quality.
I have one too and its great for vm and overclock. I'm running 3.9 ghz stable on my 1800x.
I also recommend a water cooler for those high clocks