Upgrade Time. Ryzen. Opinions?

I'm planning to upgrade my second machine. Linux system.

Currently it have:
AMD fx 8350 -----------> Ryzen 7 1700
Asus Cross-hair V formula Z -----------> ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
Cooler-master Hyper 212 evo -----------> DEEPCOOL CAPTAIN 120 AIO
16 Gb Kingston Hyper X Fury RAM ddr3 -----------> G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200 Mhz
Evga GTX 760 SC
Corsair CX 750 PSU
Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid Tower Case

The reasoning for the 120mm AIO cooler is because my cause can't hold any bigger ones.
I'm not looking to change anything else besides those parts.
I'm also looking to Over-clock it to 3.9 to 4.0 Ghz ( depends on what I can get ).
What are you opinions? What do you suggest I change an what parts do you recommend I change and why?

So far I've been recommended that ASROCK TAICHI motherboard instead of the Asus Cross-hair.

The crosshair seems a bit pricey, every thing I've seen shows the b350 boards overclocking just as well as the x370. Only if it has some features you absolutely need/ want you can expand your options and save some cash.

I have a crosshair tho, mostly for the water cooling features.

Also if you're stuck with a 120 aio I would suggest the the thickest radiator possible. Or even a massive noctua no worry of a pump failure there.

1 Like

Why were you recommended the Asrock Taichi? If you plan on running Windows 10 in a guest VM and want to passthrough a graphic card to the guest VM than it seems an Asrock Taichi would be the easiest motherboard to setup the guest VM. Asus and Asock use the same Chinese board manufacture. The only thing they do now is design their motherboards.

The Noctua Heat-sinks definitely can't fit in this case lol.I'll look for a 120 MM with a thick radiator and post it here to see if it can work.

1 Like

depends in what time frame you want to roast your toast on the VRMs I guess.

Because in short: basically all B350 VRMs are shit.

Are b350 actually shit or is that only compared to overbuilt x370?

The spire stock cooler (the smaller one) doesn't have an issue at 4ghz so I'll lean towards overbuilt x370

This has alot of great reviews. What do you think?

Shit meaning theoretically slightly worse. Like those corsair psus everyone loves to hate on

1 Like

Can't really go wrong with an asetek style aio, they've proven their reliability.

Completely fine for R5 and upcoming R3. They are technically fine for R7 but high overclock 24/7 puts a lot of stress on them and they get really hot.

They also have less phases to begin with so chances are less stable overclock.

That's the risk with any overclocking though.

Yes but with everything cranked to max the VRM of the Taichi runs ice cold.
It's a matter of quality and (in the case of the Taichi) also quantity because of the sheer amount of MOSFETs.

The Taichi has slightly better VRM than the ASUS one.

Search feature exists. It is the hourglass thing next to your profile photo at the top right.

From: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/what-ram-mobo-should-i-get-for-m-atx-am4/117094

2 Likes

Thanks for the posting this !

Yeah that's why I've been recommended it but the I/O on the asus is what I also need. :disappointed_relieved:

Rocking Ryzen 1700x on AsRock X370 Fatality Gaming K4 here.

You don´t need an AIO with Ryzen. Running the Noctua NH-U12S results in idle temperatures like this at very little noise output. And if the fan was to fail, I could just move one of the case fans over to the heatsink and continue my work.
Full load 3.4GHz after half an hour gets you in the high 60°C range. Noise levels stay in the very-quiet zone.

As for RAM: With up to date BIOS, everything DDR4 works. In my case 2x 8GB Corsair Vengance LPX 3200MHz at 2933MHz.

1 Like

But I'm looking to over-clock mine to 3.9 to 4.0 Ghz and keep it there steady all the time though

You'll probably want a better cooler to hit those speeds

Speaking from experience, no air cooler can keep clock speeds that high at low enough temps (<75*C). You will need an AIO liquid one for that.

A mild overclock of 200Mhz however like MazeFrame's really is fine on air however. (A stock frequency of 3.0 with XFR is actually always at 3.2Ghz).